Welcome to the Mile High City! The City gets its nickname from the fact that you reach a mile higher when you climb above the 13th floor of the State Capitol Building – the true mark was planted by the Governor at that time, Bill Owens – after the final attempt made by students of Metropolitan State College of Denver.
Denver’s history might lie in mining and ranching but the town’s performing arts, museums, festivals and a thriving LGBT scene are some of the main reasons of ever increasing travel to the City! The city is growing so fast, its infrastructure is barely managing to keep up.
- REASONS TO VISIT DENVER: No, The new marijuana legislature isn’t the only reason to visit Colorado!
- THE ROCKIES: These majestic mountain soar over the city horizons and some of the city’s best hangouts are spots from where these beauties are visible in all their grand vistas. And don’t even think of missing out on the terrific Rocky Mountain National Park.
- BEER: Called the “Napa Valley of Beer”, any hour is beer o’clock in the city. Denver famously brews eighty different types of beer and naturally, this is one of its biggest tourist draws.
- MUSEUMS: A thriving art scene makes Denver a flame for impassioned moths of all kinds. The Denver Art Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Denver Museum of nature and Science are only a small sample of the incredible exhibitions within this city.
Grab a copy of Denver guide from the tourist office located at 1575 California Street and get out and about – that is the only and best way to explore the City and its magnificent attractions! Each one of you should visit Denver at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Denver.
Essential travel information and Denver tips for your visit
- Denver Time Zone: Mountain Time Zone (UTC-07:00)
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 110 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Languages: Majority of the people in United States speak English.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 911, Ambulance: 911, Fire: 911
- Tipping: Tipping is voluntary in the city. However, if you wish to tip, the servers should be tipped 15%-20% of the bill; taxi drivers 15% of the bill and doormen, skycaps and porters $1 per bag.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
- Before your trip to Denver, and while you are here, drinking plenty of water is the number one way to help your body adjust easily to our higher altitude of Denver.
- Sun Valley (the projects on Federal and Colfax), Montbello (gang neighbourhood), Far north side Denver, East Colfax/N. Aurora (11th to 40th and Tamarac to Chambers), SW Denver (Westwood, Ruby Hill), Sheridan Blvd, Cole and Clayton (Gang problems and violent crime), are the unsafe areas and must be avoided post 9 PM.
- Do not litter. Littering is banned in Thailand and can often lead to a fine or even imprisonment.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Denver
Save 4%Denver City Highlights Tour
3 Hrs183 Reviews
Save 1%Discover Rocky Mountain National Park from Denver or Boulder
8 Hrs137 Reviews
Save 1%Rocky Mountain National Park Day Trip from Denver
10 Hrs123 Reviews
Save 5%Rocky Mountain Zipline Adventure
3 Hrs32 Reviews
Save 4%Foothills Explorer Tour From Denver
4 Hrs68 Reviews
Save 6%Highlights of Denver Small Group Tour
3 Hrs3 Reviews