Dinosaur Ridge746 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 16831 West Alameda Parkway, Morrison, CO 80465, United States, Denver
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-3036973466
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Geological Formation, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Think Jurassic park…. Without dinosaurs of course!
Home to some of the best dinosaur fossil localities, it was declared “Morrison Fossil Area National Natural Landmark” in 1973. In 1989, Friends of Dinosaur Ridge was formed for the upkeep and maintenance of the Site and also to organize tours and provide information.
Trails at Dinosaur Ridge have dinosaur bones and tracks, fossil and rock sites and some geological features worth noting. Touring this trail will require at least 2 hours, whereas Triceratops trail have sandstone walls and clay pits where you will find footprints and impressions All pointing to prehistoric period!
Walk with a Geologist is not recommended for children under 12 years.
Self-guided tours for groups of 15+ people will need to be communicated to the staff at Dinosaur Ridge in order to make sure that your group enjoys their tour without much rush and discover the Park at their own pace No charge is levied for reserving the time slot.
Dinosaur Ridge Travel Tips
- Since all the activities are outdoors, it is advised that visitors dress in layers in order to protect themselves from the changing weather.
- Carry a hat along and gloves if you are visiting in spring, fall or winter.
- Carry sunscreen and water in order to protect yourselves from the sun burn and dehydration.
- In case of lightning, follow the instruction of your guide.
- Free parking space available.
- Picnic tables/ areas are there on the basis of first-come first- served basis.
- Volunteers guiding the tours are well informed in science and other related fields.
- Given timings are of main visitor center.
Entrance Ticket Details For Dinosaur Ridge
- A deposit of $36 for School tours & $48 for Non-school tours is a must and can cover up to 12 people in a group. Deposit is refundable in the event tour is cancelled at least 24 hours prior to tour timing. Refund is also credited in case the weather plays spoilsport.
- Walk with a Geologist available every first and third Saturday of the month from May through October - $10 per person.
- Shuttle bus charges: - Children 3 years and under – FREE; 4 years and above - $5.
- Blue Star Guided Tour is available at $2 per person for active Military personnel.
Dinosaur Ridge Hours
Walk with a Geologist
- Available every first and third Saturday of the month from May through October – 9:15 am to 11:30 pm (reservation must be done a day prior that is on Friday).
- Shuttle Bus tours begin at 10:00 am with last trip at 4:00 pm (May through October) and at 3:00 pm (November through April). The tour lasts approximately 40 minutes.
Timings for Self-guided tours (Main visitor centre & Gift shop)
- Summer Timings (May to October) – Monday to Saturday – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday Timings – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Winter Timings (November to April) – Monday to Saturday – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; Sunday timings – 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Discovery Centre Hours
- Summer Timings (May to October) – Monday to Saturday – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sunday Timings – 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Winter Timings (November to April) – Monday to Saturday – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; Sunday timings – 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Shuttle Bus Hours
- Summer Timings (June to August) – 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Everyday).
- Winter Timings (September to May) – 10:00 am to 3:00 pm (Everyday).
Exhibit Hall Hours
- Summer Timings (June to August) – 10:00 am to 4:30 pm (Everyday).
- Winter Timings (September to May) – Monday to Saturday: 10:00 am to 3:30 pm; Sunday: 11 am to 3:30 pm.
How to Reach Dinosaur Ridge
- It is best to hire a cab to get to Dinosaur Ridge.
- Ship Rock Grille
- Flights Wine and Coffee
- Frontroom Pizza
- Croc Soup
- Cafe Prague
- Red Rocks Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Denver before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Denver and book an accommodation of your choice.
14.18% of people who visit Denver include Dinosaur Ridge in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
64.71% of people start their Dinosaur Ridge visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Dinosaur Ridge
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dinosaur Ridge
Dinosaur Ridge Reviews & Ratings
Neat stop. Kitchy visitor center, but the fossils on the ridge are super cool. Not a bad walk distance-wise. We took our time strolling and really pouring over the fossils and interesting rock formations. Bus tours are available if you'd rather not hoof it. Beautiful views from the top, including Red Rocks from the backside of the ridge.
Interesting look at the planets history. Few minor fossils and the like to see, don't expect to see a whole lot of big dinosaur fossils though. Paid bus tour or free hike. Good sights all around
An easy walk up a paved road, so we were able to use the stroller for the baby. However, besides the footprints that were at the beginning there were only a few fossils that weren't really anything special. For a name like Dinosaur ridge we were excpecting so much more. We did enjoy the rock formations and seeing how parts used to be underwater. The pictures pretty cover all that you see here. Nice long walk up to the "Bones" part and it was just a couple small black fossils imprinted in the rock.
Great small-scale, vintage roadside attraction. The guides are well educated and great story tellers. Dino-lovers will love it, and also local history buffs. The view up the mountain (which you take by van, or walking) is worth the price of admission. My grandchildren love dino-ridge. Gift shop has great selection, and books on local history. Dino Ridge is one of those don't-miss Colorado roadside attractions.
Visitor Center is a nice spot. After a hot day hiking the ridge they have cold water and snacks. Gift shop had some pretty nice finds as well.