- Address: Mexicantown, Detroit, United States Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Trail, Town, Neighborhoods
Mexicantown is a town with a vibrant community. In the 1940s the Mexican population of Detroit started settling in Mexicantown. The Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Church started weekly masses in Spanish by 1969. Many migrants added to the community in the 1970s and 1980s. The neighbourhood was named Mexicantown as part of a public relations campaign. Still more migrants moved in in the 1990s.
Mexicantown has beautifully coloured buildings decorated with even brighter murals and hand-painted signs. Here there seem to be more number of restaurants per square foot than anywhere else in Detroit. Taste awesome tamales, Guatemalan, Salvadoran and Colombian favorites like pepusas served with fried plantains, salsas, tasty tacos with chicken, pork, steak or even tongue, topped with onions and cilantro.
It is a self sustaining neighbourhood with Sonnenburg’s hardware, Delilah’s fashion, Salvation Army, the many supermercado, parks and churches with amazing history. Check out the neon lights at the first exit off the Ambassador Bridge. Buy some awesome tortillas at the Hacienda tortilla factory. Take a look into the gift shops with lovely stuff imported from Mexico. Watch plays and puppet shows at the Matrix Theatre which has been in existence since 1991. See the work of artists at the local art gallery, Disenos.
Mexicantown Travel Tips
- Many of Mexicantown’s restaurants are located in residential areas which may not be the best area in late at night. The restaurants have their own parking lots and close around 1 a.m.
How to Reach Mexicantown
- Bus No. 049 stops at Vernor & Scotten
- Bus No. 011 stops at Junction & McMillan
- Bus No. 030 stops at Livernois & Toledo
- Mexican Village
- Los Altos
- Mexicantown Bakery
- Cafe con Leche
- El Rancho
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Detroit before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Detroit and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Mexicantown Address: Mexicantown, Detroit, United States
- Mexicantown Timing: 24-hrs
- Time required to visit Mexicantown: 05:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
15.61% of people who visit Detroit include Mexicantown in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
38.64% of people start their Mexicantown visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Mexicantown
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mexicantown
People normally club together Woodward Avenue and Windsor Riverfront while planning their visit to Mexicantown.
People also prefer to end their day with Mexicantown.