Kangra Fort2854 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Old Kangra, Kangra, Himachal Pradesh 176001, Dharamshala, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 150 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Temple, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tower, Architecture , Fort
Located around 20 kilometres from Dharamshala, the Kangra Fort is a Rajput fort and is the largest one in the Himalayas. It is also one of the oldest dated forts in India. Having an interesting history, the Kangra Fort has had many famous historical figures as its residents and rulers- from Mahmud of Ghazni to Muhammad bin Tughluq to Mughal Emperor Jahangir to Maharaja Ranjit Singh. It was later occupied by the British till an earthquake in the year 1905 left it uninhabitable. Highlights of the fort include:
- Its vastness
- The beautiful and intricate architecture
- Laxmi Narayan temple within the fort premises
- Sitlamata Temple
- Ranjit Singh Gate
- Magnificent views from the watch tower
- Nagarkot Fort Museum
A must visit for architecture and history buffs.
Kangra Fort Travel Tips
- Visit in the morning. The fort starts to get crowded after noon.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kangra Fort
- Indian Nationals: INR 150
- Foreign Nationals: INR 300
How to Reach Kangra Fort
- Renting a car or hiring a private taxi is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dharamshala before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dharamshala and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.23% of people who visit Dharamshala include Kangra Fort in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
57.53% of people start their Kangra Fort visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kangra Fort
91.55% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kangra Fort
Kangra Fort Reviews & Ratings
Kangra fort is open or not for me ow???Answer Report Abuse