Housed in the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy, Musee des Beaux- Arts is one of the oldest museums in France. Founded in 1787, the Age of Enlightenment, the museum incorporates the collections of Francois Devosge. His collections have found a space in the museum ever since 1787. What makes Musee des Beaux-Arts a world famous museum is its range of encyclopaedic collections, which vary from Egyptian art to the 20th century. Inside the museum, you will find:
- Art objects and other items of antiquity
The museum houses two rooms:
- The Statues Room – meant to house sculptures.
- Salon Conde – room devoted to paintings and it celebrates the glory of the Condes, governors of Burgundy.
The attractions of museum are:
- The remains of Court of Dukes of Burgundy featuring the famous tombs of Philip the Bold, John the Fearless and Margaret of Bavaria.
- Egyptian antiquities
- Roman art from Switzerland and Germany
- Famous works from the Renaissance, 17th and 18th centuries
- Works of the Sculptor Pompon
- Modern art
- Works representing the school of Paris
Apart from the attractions, you can also spend time in:
- Museum library: It holds around 18,000 volumes and a documentary collection about the history of art.
- Bookshop boutique: You can find books related to the collections inside.
- Graphic arts office: It houses fragile items such as drawings, engravings, pastels, gouaches and miniatures. But this room is open only for researchers.
Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon Travel Tips
- Pet dogs and other pets are not allowed inside the museum.
- It is forbidden to smoke, drink and eat in the museum.
- The visitors are advised to use camera without the use of flash.
Entrance Ticket Details For Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon
- Guided tour : 6€
- Concert show : 6€
- Work shop ( per session) : 6€
How to Reach Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon
- Court Bar entrance to the Palace of Burgundy States access by Rameau Street, the square of the Dukes, the court of honour.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dijon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dijon and book an accommodation of your choice.
62.35% of people who visit Dijon include Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
74.66% of people start their Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon
72.73% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon