Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon, Dijon
About Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon, Dijon
Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon, Dijon - Address, Phone Number
Address: 1 Rue Rameau, 21000 Dijon, France
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 3.3K times in trip plans
Art Museum, Museum, History Museum, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Housed in the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy, Musee des Beaux- Arts is one of the oldest museums in France. Founded in 1787, the Age of Enlightenment, the museum incorporates the collections of Francois Devosge. His collections have found a space in the museum ever since 1787. What makes Musee des Beaux-Arts a world famous museum is its range of encyclopaedic collections, which vary from Egyptian art to the 20th century. Inside the museum, you will find:
- Art objects and other items of antiquity
The museum houses two rooms:
- The Statues Room – meant to house sculptures.
- Salon Conde – room devoted to paintings and it celebrates the glory of the Condes, governors of Burgundy.
The attractions of museum are:
- The remains of Court of Dukes of Burgundy featuring the famous tombs of Philip the Bold, John the Fearless and Margaret of Bavaria.
- Egyptian antiquities
- Roman art from Switzerland and Germany
- Famous works from the Renaissance, 17th and 18th centuries
- Works of the Sculptor Pompon
- Modern art
- Works representing the school of Paris
Apart from the attractions, you can also spend time in:
- Museum library: It holds around 18,000 volumes and a documentary collection about the history of art.
- Bookshop boutique: You can find books related to the collections inside.
- Graphic arts office: It houses fragile items such as drawings, engravings, pastels, gouaches and miniatures. But this room is open only for researchers.
Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon Information
- Pet dogs and other pets are not allowed inside the museum.
- It is forbidden to smoke, drink and eat in the museum.
- The visitors are advised to use camera without the use of flash.
Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon Ticket Prices
- Guided tour : 6€
- Concert show : 6€
- Work shop ( per session) : 6€
How To reach Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon by Public Transport
- Court Bar entrance to the Palace of Burgundy States access by Rameau Street, the square of the Dukes, the court of honour.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Dijon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dijon and book an accommodation of your choice.
Musee Des Beaux - Arts De Dijon, Dijon Reviews - Write a Review
It's a beautiful building in the heart of Dijon, gives the history of the dukes of Dijon. Great collection of art and has some crowns. Also a nice collection of weapons and armour. It's free
Small, but nice collection of medieval arts. Free entrance.
They don't have any fantastic, super-star attractions, but what they have is well-presented and very representative of various medieval artistic styles. I love the iconography of the period. The large tapestries, stained glass, and suits of armor are particularly engaging. Entrance is free, so it's well worth a visit--and I bet that even if you intend to stop in for just ten minutes, you'll wind up staying for at least an hour.
Delightful (and large) medieval collection.
Can't wait to go back when the renovation is complete in 2017, right now most of the museum is closed.
- Nearby Attractions
- La Bonne Nouvelle - Dijon
- Eglise Reformee
- Église Notre-dame
- Synagogue De Dijon
- Saint Philibert
- Mosquee D'ecoquartier Epirey
- Musée D'art Sacré
- Muséum D'histoire Naturelle
- Sciences Garden
- Dijon Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Dijon
- What to See in 48 Hours in Dijon
- What to See in 72 Hours in Dijon
- How to Spend 5 Days in Dijon
- How to Spend 6 Days in Dijon
- How to Spend 7 Days in Dijon