Basilique St-sauveurCurrently Closed
- Address: 14 Place Saint-Sauveur, 22100 Dinan, France
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-299784880
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
This Romanesque Roman Catholic church has a legend behind it. It’s said that it was built in the 12th century by Riwallon Rufus, a knight taken prisoner in the First Crusade, who vowed to build a church if he ever saw his homeland again. As such, there are a lot of middle-eastern architectural influences.
The highlights of the church are:
- The elegant Gothic chancel
- 14th-century grave slab in the north transept that allegedly contains the heart of Bertrand du Guesclin, a knight infamous for his hatred of the English.
- 12th and 15th century stained glass
- 800 year old granite bas reliefs
- Gargoyles on the spire
- The English garden behind the church
- The organs
- The bells
The square in which the church stands is one of the prettiest in town. From the church, you have a nice view of the River Rance. If you visit at night, you may be able to take pictures of the church lit up by brilliant floodlights.
Basilique St-sauveur Travel Tips
- Get the printed history and guide for the church at the church itself.
- Catch the mass at noon on weekdays.
How to Reach Basilique St-sauveur
- Walk or drive here.
- Ask a local for public transport info and/or directions
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dinan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dinan and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Dinan include Basilique St-sauveur in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
29.81% of people start their Basilique St-sauveur visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilique St-sauveur
85.16% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilique St-sauveur
Basilique St-sauveur Reviews & Ratings
One of the oldest churches in Dinan, beautiful inside and outside. Important part of the history of the city.
I recommend this church for everybody who is interested in light ! The light inside is beautiful at sunrise and sunset You can admire all the beautiful colors and reflections of this church. Amazing !!
We had a great visit. Well worth your time.
Beautiful facade , pitty people are allowed to park in from of it.
Such a place! I imagine the people living in this town must be very happy and proud. The Church is... wierdly intriguing. The English garden and its view to the valley below are wonderful.