Basilique St-sauveur, Dinan
Basilique St-sauveur, Dinan - Address, Phone Number
Address: Pl. St-Sauveur, Dinan, France
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 4.1K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Basilique St-sauveur, Dinan
This Romanesque Roman Catholic church has a legend behind it. It’s said that it was built in the 12th century by Riwallon Rufus, a knight taken prisoner in the First Crusade, who vowed to build a church if he ever saw his homeland again. As such, there are a lot of middle-eastern architectural influences.
The highlights of the church are:
- The elegant Gothic chancel
- 14th-century grave slab in the north transept that allegedly contains the heart of Bertrand du Guesclin, a knight infamous for his hatred of the English.
- 12th and 15th century stained glass
- 800 year old granite bas reliefs
- Gargoyles on the spire
- The English garden behind the church
- The organs
- The bells
The square in which the church stands is one of the prettiest in town. From the church, you have a nice view of the River Rance. If you visit at night, you may be able to take pictures of the church lit up by brilliant floodlights.
Basilique St-sauveur Information
- Get the printed history and guide for the church at the church itself.
- Catch the mass at noon on weekdays.
How To reach Basilique St-sauveur by Public Transport
- Walk or drive here.
- Ask a local for public transport info and/or directions
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Dinan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dinan and book an accommodation of your choice.
Basilique St-sauveur, Dinan Reviews - Write a Review
Beautiful stainedglass Windows.
great stained glass windows
Bellissimo borgo medievale coi suoi tetti in ardesia e il lungo fiume. da non perdere..consigliata salita sulla torre dell'orologio e passeggiata panoramica per godere a pieno della vista totale!! Vera Bretagna.