Basilique St-sauveurCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Pl. St-Sauveur, Dinan, France
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-299784880
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site
This Romanesque Roman Catholic church has a legend behind it. It’s said that it was built in the 12th century by Riwallon Rufus, a knight taken prisoner in the First Crusade, who vowed to build a church if he ever saw his homeland again. As such, there are a lot of middle-eastern architectural influences.
The highlights of the church are:
- The elegant Gothic chancel
- 14th-century grave slab in the north transept that allegedly contains the heart of Bertrand du Guesclin, a knight infamous for his hatred of the English.
- 12th and 15th century stained glass
- 800 year old granite bas reliefs
- Gargoyles on the spire
- The English garden behind the church
- The organs
- The bells
The square in which the church stands is one of the prettiest in town. From the church, you have a nice view of the River Rance. If you visit at night, you may be able to take pictures of the church lit up by brilliant floodlights.
- Get the printed history and guide for the church at the church itself.
- Catch the mass at noon on weekdays.
- Walk or drive here.
- Ask a local for public transport info and/or directions
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Dinan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dinan and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Dinan include Basilique St-sauveur in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
29.81% of people start their Basilique St-sauveur visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilique St-sauveur
85.16% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilique St-sauveur
Such a place! I imagine the people living in this town must be very happy and proud. The Church is... wierdly intriguing. The English garden and its view to the valley below are wonderful.
Beautiful stainedglass Windows. Messes are at 9am on Sundays
Beautiful atmospheric Church
great stained glass windows