Behrampasa CamiiCurrently Open
- Address: A Behram Pasa Mosque, Ziya Gökalp Mh, 21300 Diyarbakir, Turkey Map
- Timings: 08:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mosque, Architecture
The glory of Ottoman Empire was at its pinnacle when the Behram Pasha Camii was completed in 1572. Built by the Governor of Diyarbakir, this mosque was a medieval place of worship guarded within the fortress of Diyarbakir’s City walls. The name of the architect, Mimar Sinan is etched on the walls of the mosque. After Ulu Camii, the mosque is the second largest and most impressive Islamic structure in the town.
The foundation stone of Behram Pasha Camii was laid in the year 1564 and within 8 years, it was opened to the traders, pilgrims going to Mecca and the nobles. The highlight of the ‘camii’ is the series of high domes built over high arches with a sadirvan in the centre of the courtyard. Like majority of buildings in Diyarbakir, the mosque too is built with Kurdish black basalt stone and white limestone. The fountain is designed with a Persian touch and still flows with fresh water.
Behrampasa Camii Travel Tips
- The site is located within the City Walls. You can cover all the mosques and gates in a single trail.
- Drinking and Smoking around the premises is strictly prohibited.
- Entry to females is restricted.
- Men and kids with shorts not allowed inside.
- It’s a place of worship for Muslims. Follow the rituals with strict discipline Otherwise it is considered as desecration.
How to Reach Behrampasa Camii
- Train Name: Güney Express, Nearest Railway Station: Diyarbakir
- Bus No: n/a; Bus stop: Diyarbakir
- Hasan Pani Han
- Onur Ocakbasi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Diyarbakir before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Diyarbakir and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Behrampasa Camii Address: A Behram Pasa Mosque, Ziya Gökalp Mh, 21300 Diyarbakir, Turkey
- Behrampasa Camii Timing: 08:00 am - 08:00 pm
- Best time to visit Behrampasa Camii(preferred time): 08:00 am - 09:00 am
- Time required to visit Behrampasa Camii: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
42.02% of people who visit Diyarbakir include Behrampasa Camii in their plan
29.41% of people start their Behrampasa Camii visit around 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Behrampasa Camii
94.12% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Behrampasa Camii
People normally club together City Walls and Diyarbakir Ulu Camii while planning their visit to Behrampasa Camii.