City Walls, Diyarbakir
About City Walls, Diyarbakir
City Walls, Diyarbakir - Address
Address: Mardin Border, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 1.1K times in trip plans
Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The City Walls surrounding Diyarbakir blend together medieval architecture and military structures. It is second longest man-made structure after the Great Wall of China. They are popularly regarded as the ‘Black Mountains’ owing to their mega size and thickness. They are located close to an extinct volcano and basalt has been used as construction material in the walls.
The city walls have 4 entry points beneath the towers. They are:
- Harput Kapisi or the North Gate
- Mardin Kapisi (south)
- Yenikapi (east)
- Urfa Kapisi (west)
City Walls of Diyarbakir run from the Mardinkapi in the south to Urfakapi in the west. It is studded with exquisite stone reliefs and Kufic calligraphy motifs bearing animal and plant engravings.
Key highlights of the walls are:
- Tower of Yedi Kardes Burcu
- Goat Bastion
- Evli Beden Burcu
- Nur Burcu
- Ic Kale
- St. George Church
- Open - air Sufi sarcophagi
City Walls Information
- The towers on the walls can be climbed by stairs. They are steep.
- Use of camera inside the alleys is allowed.
- Always use the rails while taking a flight of stairs to upper levels.
- Move around the bastion in groups to avoid hassles.
- Some parts of the walls are under renovation. Maintain distance from such places.
- Carry drinking water as there are not many resting points along the corridors.
How To reach City Walls by Public Transport
- Train Name: Güney Express, Nearest Railway Station: Diyarbakir
- Bus No: n/a; Bus stop: Diyarbakir
Restaurants Near City Walls
- Tigris Cafe Nargile Salonu
- Mahya Kahve Evi
- Diyarbekir Coffee
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Diyarbakir before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Diyarbakir and book an accommodation of your choice.