Diyarbakir Ulu Camii, Diyarbakir
About Diyarbakir Ulu Camii, Diyarbakir
Diyarbakir Ulu Camii, Diyarbakir - Address
Address: Camiikebir Mh., 21300 Diyarbakır, Turkey Merkez, Surici, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
Added 1.1K times in trip plans
Mosque, Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Mesopotamia is often referred to as the cradle of neo-civilization and the Diyarbakir Ulu Camii is an existing symbol of Anatolia’s rich heritage. Located in Turkey’s religious capital, the mosque is one of the oldest and slated as fifth holiest in Islam for worship.
Diyarbakir Ulu Camii was built by the Seljuk emperor, Malik-Shah in 1091. Highly influenced by Damascus’ Ummayad Mosque, the present structure is built over a 5th century church which was toppled by the Muslim invaders in 7th century. It is made of black basalt rock and limestone bearing a strong influence of the Syrian architecture. The pillars and the main building suffered extensive damage in a fire that broke out in the year 1115.
More than 5000 worshippers can pray in this huge mosque at a time. The western façade looks similar to the Roman Amphitheatre with its column and sculpture mouldinga. An Ottoman ablution fountain called Saardivan and a “must-see” sundial adorns the courtyard. Unfortunately no inscriptions exist from the original construction and there are only records of reconstruction and modification that have been inscribed in Kufic.
Diyarbakir Ulu Camii Information
- The mosque is also called as Mizgefta Mezin a Amede or the Great Mosque of Diyarbakir.
- Another attraction Mesudiye Medresesi, is located just besides the mosque.
- It is open to non-Islamic visitors as well.
- It is a conference venue for political and economic groups. It may get crowded at times.
- Major parts of the mosque are under reconstruction or renovation. Stay away from the restricted areas.
- Female visitors have to necessarily wear cover their heads with a scarf.
- No shorts are allowed for men.
- Photography is allowed with prior permission.
How To reach Diyarbakir Ulu Camii by Public Transport
- Train Name: Güney Express, Nearest Railway Station: Diyarbakir
- Bus No: n/a; Bus stop: Diyarbakir
Restaurants Near Diyarbakir Ulu Camii
- Hasan Pasha Hani
- Buket Lahmacun
- Dag Kapi Cigercisi
- Onur Ocakbasi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Diyarbakir before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Diyarbakir and book an accommodation of your choice.
Diyarbakir Ulu Camii, Diyarbakir Reviews - Write a Review
One of the most extraordinary and beautiful mosques I have ever seen
This mosque is awesome
Diyarbakır 'ın merkezinde hasan paşa hanına çok yakın tarihi bir cami. En son gittiğimde restore ediliyordu. Eminim daha güzel olmuştur. kesinlikle gezilmesi görülmesi gereken bir mekan..
Taş mimarisine bayıldım. Çok farklı bir tasarıma sahip. Avlusu, şadırvanı her ayrıntısı ayrı güzel. Taş Yapı sayesinde sıcak havada içerisi çok serin.