Visit Doha - Best of Doha
Doha is perhaps one of the best gifts of the Qatari government not only to its own people but also to the rest of the world. A city known for its shawarmas and mystical souqs, Doha has overtime become the next it destination for experiencing modernization clinging onto age old traditions and values.
With the new residential island in place, Doha’s blueprint is probably more colorful than most existing cities. Doha has also, overtime, transformed itself very beautifully from a place full of local values to a place of international recognition. You have everything here- Right from the humble souqs to the biggest of malls. The age old houses in certain areas to sky kissing buildings in the new ones.
Like the rest of the Middle East, Doha holds its traditions very close to its core. Even so, it has very well fit in the new world of art, development and welcomes people from all nationalities with arms wide open. Shopaholics swear by the wide range of shopping that you can undertake and transform your wardrobe with bright colors from the vibrancy of the local markets.
Doha also pretty much never sleeps. The malls are open late until the midnight. Specially during Ramadan, you will see the city camouflage under a large blanket of liveliness and literally see it light up with vibrancy passing in the air.
But if you think that shopping is all you have to do in Doha, then remember that the mosques here promise you a tranquillity that you will experience literally nowhere else. Apart from this, the museums are to take you through a journey from history to the present day scenario and that is a journey you would not want to miss. Even sports wise, this capital of Qatar has not lagged behind at all. It has developed itself as one of the most frequented sporting zones in the Middle East and with the FIFA 2022 on the cards, Doha is sure to become a full- fledged sporting destination.
With its hidden charms and layers of traditions on top of modernization, the land of the Sheikhs represents their royalty by welcoming you to enjoy an extravagant experience like no other.
Doha Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Doha tips for your visit
Time Zone: Doha follows the AST (Arabia Standard Time).
Currency: Qatari Riyal
Electricity and Internet
- Electrical sockets (outlets) in the State of Qatar (Dawlat Qatar) usually supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC.
- If you're plugging in an appliance that was built for 220-240 volt electrical input, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, than you will need an adaptor.
- Voltage: 220-240 Volts (U.S./Canada are 110-120 Volts)
- Primary Socket Types: British BS-1363, Indian
- Multi-voltage appliances (laptops, etc.): Plug adapter
- Click socket type links to view adapter for that type
- 110-120V electronics: Plug adapter + step-down transformer
- Hair dryers, curling irons, etc.: Plug adapter + voltage converter.
- The internet speed in Doha is the second highest in Qatar.
The official language of Qatar is Arabic, but you will also find a lot of people who speak English, especially to interact with tourists or when they are doing business.
Security Emergency contact numbers
- Police, Fire, Ambulance – 999
- Telephone Directory - 180
- Kahramaa – 991
- International calls – 150
- Internet Service - 111
- Traffic & Patrol Police Department – 4890666
- Hamad Hospital – +974 4392111
- Flight Enquiries - +974 4622999
- Doha Airport - +974 4656666
- General Post Office - +974 4466000
- Doha Seaport - +974 4464660
- Qatar Tourism Authority - +974 4411555
- Qatar Telecom (Q-Tel) - +974 4400400
- Directorate of Immigration, Passports and Naturalization - +974 882882
- Qatar General Electricity and Water Corporation - +974 4494444
- Al Jazeera Satellite Channel - +974 4890890
- Qatar Radio and Television - +974 4894444
- Weather Info - +974 9001009
- It is better to keep your belongings with you at all times, especially while travelling to the local souqs.
- The women should be covered as it is respectful to the culture. Qatar welcomes foreigners as they are even otherwise.
- People take their culture very seriously here and as a tourist you should visit with utmost respect for it too.
- Single women should be aware of the foreigners living here. Lot of single women have complained about men following them.
- Walk around the old buildings to discover a less glamorous Doha.
- Go to the Bird Souqs.
- Most of the restaurants in Doha include a service charge with the bill. However the waiters do not usually receive it. Therefore, it’s sed to leave a tip of about 10-15% in restaurants. If dining in hotels, it is not necessary to tip, but it’s a appreciated nevertheless.
- Usually tour guides in Qatar are tipped about 18-30 Riyals a day. You could also tip the driver a few riyals if you are happy with their service. In Qatar, tipping a taxi driver is recommended; a minimum of 5-10 Riyals tip is well received.
- Qatari’s traditional food constitutes mainly of seafood. Popular dishes are Hummus, Tabouleh, Motabel, Ghuzi, etc. Alcohol is usually not available at restaurants. If you do want alcohol you may have to visit bars in hotels.
- Women visiting restaurants or public areas must dress properly showing least skin as possible.
- Alcohol in restaurants and pork meat are not allowed (only halal food). Halal food is food permitted under the Islamic dietary guideline.
Are you looking for a Doha travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Doha Tourist Information
Doha Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Doha
Doha Express Private City Tour2 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs
Tight on time? Catch the highlights of Qatar's capital in air-conditioned comfort on this 4-hour private express tour of Doha...Book Now
Sheikh Faisal, Camel Race Track and Equestrian Club Visit1 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs
The Sheikh Faisal Museum gathers a unique private collection owned by one of the royal members Sheikh Faisal. Showcasing 15,0...Book Now
Full-Day Private Qatar Desert Safari from Doha
Duration: 8 Hrs
Experience the rapture of an exhilarating roller coaster ride as our luxury 4x4 vehicles drive you across the tranquil sand d...Book Now
Private Souk Waqif or Al Wakra Souk Shopping Tour in Doha1 Reviews
Duration: 5 Hrs
Souq Waqif is a showpiece of traditional architecture, handicrafts and folk art, and was once a weekend trading area for the ...Book Now
Popular Hotels in Doha
Facts and Stats for Doha*
Pollution Statistics in Doha
Know the pollution level of Doha before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 68.24 (High)
Water Pollution 52 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 61.22 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 42.31 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 44.41 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 41.35 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 58.75 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 63.31 (High)
Doha: Crime and Safety
How safe is Doha for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Doha.
Burglary and Theft 9.72 (Very Low)
Mugging and Robbery 6.69 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 7.14 (Very Low)
Corruption and Bribery 29.37 (Low)
Car Stealing 4.37 (Very Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 12.4 (Very Low)
Attacks 7.8 (Very Low)
Drug offense 10.24 (Very Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 94.69 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 89.17 (Very High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 20.2 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 14.4 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 11.29 (Very Low)
Living in Doha - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Doha is 167.32 (Very High)
Safety Index 87.65 (Very High)
Climate Index 36.03 (Moderate)
Pollution Index 68.7 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 34.62 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 61.77 (Low)
Health Care Index 72.67 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 5.03 (Low)
Purchasing Power Index 141.83 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Doha
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Doha
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.17 USD
International Movie per seat 10.97 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 50.01 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 99.4 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 61.98 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.