How to Reach Donegal
- By Air: There are two airports near Donegal. The Sligo Airport is the closest to the town while the Donegal Airport is located further North of the country. The Londonderry airport is located approximately at an 1 hour’s drive from Donegal. Flights to Donegal Town are connected to all the major airports worldwide. Taxis are easily available from the airports.
- By Train: Tourists travelling from Europe prefer trains to Donegal Town. The Sligo Train Station is often preferred for travel to and from Dublin and to the Southern part of Ireland. Railways also include connections by Iarnrod Eireann from MacDiarmada Station in Sligo to Dublin Connolly. This route also connects Londonderry railway station to Belfast, via Coleraine.
- By Boat: Ferries from London and Scotland are often preferred by tourists to reach Ireland.
- Car Rentals: Car rentals are available connecting every city in Ireland.
- By Bus: Ireland is well connected by public transport system and is often preferred for inter-city travel. Tourists who are visiting nearby towns often take a bus to Donegal stopping at the town centre- The Diamond. Buses to Donegal Town consist of the preferred ‘Bus Eireann’ service number 64 Derry/Galway route which connects cities including Donegal, Letterkenny, Dublin Derry, Galway and Sligo.
- By Bus: The Bus Eireann service connects the city well.
- By Waterbus: The town provides a 1 hour tour via ‘Waterbus’ around the bay for €20.
- By Car: You can hire a car at the Sligo Airport to explore the town and its outskirts.
- By Bike/ Bicycle: Rented Bicycles are available at the ‘Bike Shop’ on Waterloo. They rent Bikes too.
- By Walking: Donegal is a small town and can be easily explored on foot. It is the best way to take in all that Donegal has to offer.