Lough EskeCurrently Open
- Address: Co. Donegal, Ireland Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Hotel, Church, River, Family And Kids, Water Sport, Lake, Town
Located to the North-East of Donegal Town and is connected to the river Eske. The lake covers an area of 900 acres and is surrounded by lush greenery. The lake is surrounded on the North, East and West by the Bluestack mountains.
With two fine hotels at its shore, Lake Eske is famous for its scenic greenery along with the beautiful forest pathways that encircle it.
The highlights of Lough Eske include:
- Fishing at the lake for fishes like salmon, sea trout and char. (1st March to end of September).
- 16th century Friary which lies at the western shore of the lake and the ‘Friar’s Walk’ along its shore.
- Church constructed in the 18th century on the southern shore which still functions as a parish church.
- ‘Famine pot’ used during the Great Famine is placed at the shores as a testament to all the Irish locals who lost their lives or forced to emigrate in the 1840’s and 1850’s.
Lough Eske Travel Tips
- Do visit the ‘Famine Pot’.
- Fishing at Eske is a once in a lifetime. If you are a guest at the nearby Solis Lough Eske Castle or Harvey’s Point, activities are arranged on request.
How to Reach Lough Eske
- Bus: Ballyshannon (Opp Bus Station), Ireland 6:25 AM–6:55 AM
- Bus Number: 30/64, 6:35 AM from Donegal (Abbey Hotel) every 90 minutes.
- Lough Eske Castle
- A Solis Hotel & Spa
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Donegal before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Donegal and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Lough Eske Address: Co. Donegal, Ireland
- Lough Eske Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Lough Eske(preferred time): 08:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit Lough Eske: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
69.61% of people who visit Donegal include Lough Eske in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
37.5% of people start their Lough Eske visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Lough Eske
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Lough Eske
People normally club together Magee Tweeds and Abbey Of The Four Masters while planning their visit to Lough Eske.