The name Muckish is derived from ‘Mhucais’ which translates as ‘pig’s back’. Known for its beautiful flat terrain, the place offers a unique sense of nature’s wonders. Standing tall at 666 metres, the mountain has a massive cairn and a cross on the northern edge of the summit plateau.
There are two commonly used routes up the mountain- Muckish Gap and the ‘Miners Track’ up the Northern side of the mountain, part of which follows the path used by workers to reach a former quarry.
- Beautiful flat and rocky terrain.
- If you are lucky you can see Deers in the vicinity.
A photographic view embraces all its visitors with the most tranquil ambience.
Muckish Mountain Travel Tips
- Reach the place just before Sunrise is preferred by many tourists.
- It is preferred to walk in the terrain during considerably dry weather.
- Carry snacks with you as there are no restaurants nearby.
- Carrying a mini first-aid kit might come handy here as the terrain is irregular.
How to Reach Muckish Mountain
- Bus: Bus Eireann's at the Diamond.
- Muckish mountain is located 47 kilometres from the Diamond.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Donegal before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Donegal and book an accommodation of your choice.
9.47% of people who visit Donegal include Muckish Mountain in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
31.11% of people start their Muckish Mountain visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Muckish Mountain
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Muckish Mountain