The Zollern CollieryCurrently Open
- Address: LWL-Industriemuseum, Westphalian State Museum of Industrial Heritage, Zeche Zollern, Grubenweg 5, 44388 Dortmund, Germany Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Museums, Family And Kids
Dating back to the late 19th century- early 20th century, the Zollern Colliery was designed by architect Paul Knobble with touches of Gothic revival. The site consisted of a blacksmith’s shop, a first-aid station, a fire station, baths, bureaus and a store room that would hold the tools for the job.
For the time, the central engine house installed here was the best of its kind. The construction consisted of an iron framework filled with red bricks. The lead glazed blue tiles at the entrance were designed by Bruno Möhring that contributed to the Art Nouveaux style of the building. Walk in and you see a control board made from marble that is set in bronze. A beautiful brass clock is suspended from the ceiling.
It is uncanny how impeccable the modern open space is. Today, the facility is part of the Westphalian Industrial Museum. You can explore the underground labyrinth and cellar of the coal mine and see just how trying the lives of the miners and labourers were. The museum also explains the industrial spur and its effect on the Germany. The building is literally the first technical building in the country and if you like architecture, this place is sure to leave a rather special place in your memory.
The Zollern Colliery Travel Tips
- Contact Number: + 49 (0)231 6961-111/211
Entrance Ticket Details For The Zollern Colliery
- School Children: 2 Euros
- Reduced prices: 2.50 Euros
- Family day ticket: 9 Euros
- Groups (16 people and more), per head: 3.50 Euros
- Guided tours in English: 52 Euros +admission fee
The Zollern Colliery Hours
- Tuesdays to Sundays and bank holidays: 10.00 am– 6.00 pm (final admission: 5.30 pm)
- Closed on Mondays (except bank holidays) and from 24th of December to 2nd of January.
How to Reach The Zollern Colliery
- Subway: Walbertstr./ Schulmuseum (4.5 kilometers)
- Train: Dortmund-Bövinghausen
- By renting a Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dortmund before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dortmund and book an accommodation of your choice.
- The Zollern Colliery Address: LWL-Industriemuseum, Westphalian State Museum of Industrial Heritage, Zeche Zollern, Grubenweg 5, 44388 Dortmund, Germany
- The Zollern Colliery Timing: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- The Zollern Colliery Price: 4 EUR
- Time required to visit The Zollern Colliery: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
5.63% of people who visit Dortmund include The Zollern Colliery in their plan
71.43% of people start their The Zollern Colliery visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see The Zollern Colliery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Zollern Colliery
People normally club together Haus Bodelschwingh and Binarium - Digital Adventure Center Gmbh while planning their visit to The Zollern Colliery.