Tunnel Beach482 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Tunnel Beach road/ Green Island Bush Road, Dunedin, New Zealand Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Family And Kids, Nature
Called the most romantic spot in Dunedin, head over to the Tunnel Beach and explore sea-carved sandstone cliffs, rock arches and caves. The sea carved sandstone cliffs have been formed over centuries. Nature’s artistry at its best. Tunnel Beach is situated around 2 kilometres from Dunedin and draws its name from the fact that a passage was carved in the 1870s through a rock to allow access to the sheltered beach. Obviously, there is a bit of walking and climbing involved to reach the beach. Along the way, you may come across shell fragments and fossils of creatures such as sea urchins and whale!
Tunnel Beach Travel Tips
- Not Wheelchair accessible.
- Best time to visit the beach is during low tide.
How to Reach Tunnel Beach
- Bus stop near Tunnel Beach car park.
- Middleton road bus stop (around 20 minutes walk from the Tunnel Beach car park).
- Carrying picnic baskets with you is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dunedin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dunedin and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Tunnel Beach Address: Tunnel Beach road/ Green Island Bush Road, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Tunnel Beach Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Tunnel Beach(preferred time): 06:00 am - 01:00 pm
- Time required to visit Tunnel Beach: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
41.37% of people who visit Dunedin include Tunnel Beach in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
20.69% of people start their Tunnel Beach visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Tunnel Beach
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tunnel Beach
People normally club together Signal Hill and Dunedin Railway Station while planning their visit to Tunnel Beach.
Tunnel Beach Reviews & Ratings
How much is the entry ticket priceAnswer Report Abuse
For adults 55$, children (5-17) years 16$ and family pass (2 adults and max 3 children) 120$. Children under 5 years have free entry.Report Abuse