Durango celebrates all the traditional holidays in America like Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. Throughout the year, there are music, film and arts festivals happening at various location in town.
- Iron Horse Bicycle Classic: Bikers are challenged to beat the train to Silverton. This event takes place in May every year.
- Animas River Days: The river is an important part of the town and its presence is celebrated with gusto in June. Kayaks race along the current and other games are organised on the banks.
- Music in the Mountains: Summer music festival held in July every year.
- Fall Foliage Jeep Tours: Explore the fall colours of the San Juan Forest in September.
- Arts and Craft Festival: Takes place in December.