Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen1373 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Grabbeplatz 5, 40213 Düsseldorf, Germany, Dusseldorf
- Timings: 11:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-21183810
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Art Gallery, Museums, Architecture , Exhibition , Specialty Museums
Located at the alstadt (old town), the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen is a fine example of why Dusseldorf has such a thriving art scene. Spanning across three buildings (K20, K21 and Schmela Haus) each building has its own distinguishing identity, whilst coming together to form an art phenomenon that is highly regarded beyond borders.
The K20 Grabbeplatz A has some exquisite exhibits that cover not only the turn of the 20th century, but also the arc and then some! If there’s one museum the art world is envious and awe-struck at the same time, it’s the K20 Grabbenplatz. The sheer number of artists represented on the walls is mind-numbing and whether you’re an art enthusiast or not, your appreciation will know no bounds.
The K21 Ständehaus A on the other hand features art that’s graced the Earth after the 1980s. The 19th century parliament building the K21 Ständehaus A is housed is, balances out the vibrancy the art exhibits exude. Staying with the trends of those times, the museum has a vast collection of not only paintings but also photographs, installations and video art.
When the Schmela Haus was first opened in 1971, it was a private gallery. The works of a Dutch architect Aldo van Eyck, is now an architectural landmark of Dusseldorf, grey pumice and all. Now a part of the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, the Schmela Haus is now a space allotted for experimental art.
Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen Travel Tips
- Everyday, during the museum’s operational hours, there’s a shuttle bus service that runs between the K20 Grabbeplatz A and The K21 Ständehaus A, every 20 minutes.
- You could either buy a combined ticket or a single ticket for each of the exhibits; the combined ticket works out cheaper if you’re planning to see all three buildings.
- KPMG Art Evening takes place every 1st Wednesday of the month 6 pm to 10 pm, free admission.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen
- Adults K20 12 euros
- K21 12 euros and Combined 20 euors
- Reduced (Eg. Students) K20 9.50 euros
- K21 9.50 euros and Combined 16 euros
- Children and Adolescents K20 2.50 euros
- K21 2.50 euros and Combined 4 euros.
How to Reach Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen
- Heinr-Heine-Allee (Bus, tram and subway station)
- Benders Marie (German food served; seafood recommended)
- Lupo Pizzeria
- GOSCH (Outdoor seating)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dusseldorf before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dusseldorf and book an accommodation of your choice.
85.12% of people who visit Dusseldorf include Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
44.12% of people start their Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen
57.14% of people prefer walking in order to reach Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-westfalen