Bet Dwarka4 Votes
- Address: Bet Dwarka, Gujarat, India
- Time Required: 04:30 Hrs
- Tags: Island, Family And Kids
Located off the mainland of Dwarka city lies the Dwarka beyt- a small isolated island that is believed to be the actual residence of Lord Krishna. The term “beyt” translates to “gift” and this island was believed to be a gift to the Lord from his best friend Sudama. Archeologically, the island is important since a number of artifacts from the Harappan Era were found here. These included jars, fishhooks made from copper and molds used by coppersmiths. A few shipwrecks and stone anchors have been recovered here as well that suggest trade relations with Romans! A wall that dates back to 1500 BC was also uncovered on the island- adding to the heritage and historical importance of the place.
The place formed an important part of the Mauryan empire and was later ruled by the Royal family of Gaekwad who ruled most of Gujarat from the 1720s till India’s Independence in 1947.
Mythology has it own share of stories about the island. It is believed that this is the very place where Lord Vishnu slayed Shankhasura. Owing to its vast references, the island has become an epicenter for religion, mythology and for archeologically surveys.
Today, the island has some of the most beautiful worship places in the region.
Highlights of the island include:
- Hanuman Dandi: A temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman that is most popular for its celebrations during Hanuman Jayanti.
- Shri Krishna temple that is a 500-years old and shares its grounds with smaller temples of Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, and Devi.
- Kachoriyu temple dedicated to Shri Ram and the Kachoriyu lake that is located nearby.
- Sidi Bawa Peer Dargah and the Haji Kirmai Dargah which are the two most important dargahs in the region.
- The Gurudwara at Bet Dwarka
- The sandy beaches that surround the island and offer a beautiful view of the Gulf of Kutch.
Bet Dwarka Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks.
Entrance Ticket Details For Bet Dwarka
- Admission prices of individual attractions of the island vary.
Bet Dwarka Hours
- Bet Dwarka temple hours: from 9.00 am – 1.00 pm; 3.00 pm – 6.00 pm
- For timings of other individual attractions on the island, visit the official website.
- Recommended time of arrival: 9.00 am – 1.00 pm
How to Reach Bet Dwarka
- By Ferry: Bet Dwarka Jetty
- By hiring a Taxi/ Rickshaw/ Cab.
- By renting a car/ bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Dwarka before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Dwarka and book an accommodation of your choice.
Bet Dwarka Reviews & Ratings
Go with private boat, it's costly but comfortable. Take some snakes for birds they catch as u throw in air
Nice place to visit but be aware of pandas they will loot you
Worth visiting to know more about Lord Krishna
Serene ND calm place
Wow 😮what a place You go to one to another side of sea🌊 Thrill, enjoyment. Also see boat management by guard. Wow cool 😎place.