Selimiye MosqueCurrently Closed
- Address: Babademirtas Street, Edirne 22020, Turkey
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mosque, Religious Site, Educational Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Selimiye Mosque - Review
Commissioned by Sultan Selim II and built by Mimar Sinan in the 16th century, this Islamic architecture masterpiece is the most elegant summary of Ottoman architectural philosophy. The interiors and exteriors are highly symmetrical, a distinctive feature that was designed to draw the eye and centralise the rapidly expanding city. The highlights to notice are:
- How, unusually for mosques, this one was designed to appear to be a single unit rather than multiple ones.
- The four up-shooting minarets that focus attention on the central dome (they are the second tallest in the world).
- The humbly decorated interiors, with a great number of small windows that filter in the light.
- The highly ornately decorated dome.
- The calligraphy on the dome.
The mosque is in the centre of a kulliye (a neighbourhood complex consisting of a row of shops, a time-keepers rooms and a madrassa).
Selimiye Mosque Information
- In general, avoid visiting mosques as tourists on Friday.
- Don’t visit if there are worshippers present.
How To reach Selimiye Mosque by Public Transport
- Walk or take a taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Edirne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Edirne and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Selimiye Mosque
95% of people who visit Edirne include Selimiye Mosque in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
72.58% of people start their Selimiye Mosque visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Selimiye Mosque
57.69% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Selimiye Mosque
Selimiye Mosque Trips
2 Views18 Days 17 Nights18 Day Trip to Ayia Napa, Limassol, Nicosia, Larnaca, Paphos from RamallahBy: Guest UserCity: Paphos, Larnaca, Nicosia, Limassol, Ayia Napa
Selimiye Mosque, Edirne Reviews
The mosque itself is the masterpiece of Ottoman classic architecture. The famous Mimar Sinan work at his best, built from 1569-1575 with two schools ( madrasas) attached to mosque. One of those schools are Art museum, very unique, so don't miss the opportunity to have look at it, highly recommended
The most famous ottoman architect Mimar Sinan from Kayseri build this incredible mosque. Even till now modern architect cannot reveal its building secrets.
The mosque is impressive, especially in the evening when the lights are turned on. A beautiful place to visit.
This is a "must see" location in Edirne. Constructed by well known Ottoman architect "Mimar Sinan" for Selim the Second. Sinan finished construction when he was 90 and called this mosque as "My mastership work".
Great place! I really like it! If you’re in town you must visit it.