Selimiye Mosque396 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Babademirtas Street, Edirne 22020, Turkey
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mosque, Religious Site, Educational Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Commissioned by Sultan Selim II and built by Mimar Sinan in the 16th century, this Islamic architecture masterpiece is the most elegant summary of Ottoman architectural philosophy. The interiors and exteriors are highly symmetrical, a distinctive feature that was designed to draw the eye and centralise the rapidly expanding city. The highlights to notice are:
- How, unusually for mosques, this one was designed to appear to be a single unit rather than multiple ones.
- The four up-shooting minarets that focus attention on the central dome (they are the second tallest in the world).
- The humbly decorated interiors, with a great number of small windows that filter in the light.
- The highly ornately decorated dome.
- The calligraphy on the dome.
The mosque is in the centre of a kulliye (a neighbourhood complex consisting of a row of shops, a time-keepers rooms and a madrassa).
Selimiye Mosque Travel Tips
- In general, avoid visiting mosques as tourists on Friday.
- Don’t visit if there are worshippers present.
How to Reach Selimiye Mosque
- Walk or take a taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Edirne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Edirne and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Edirne include Selimiye Mosque in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
72.58% of people start their Selimiye Mosque visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Selimiye Mosque
57.69% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Selimiye Mosque