The capital of Canada’s Alberta Province, Edmonton is popular for its river valley, its art and music scene, and the abundance of green spaces. Edmonton is often referred to as Festival City with events that take place throughout the year celebrating everything from wine and food to art and music. The heart of the city is the Central district, which is the oldest part of town and has most of the major tourist attractions.
The North Saskatchewan River Valley is the mainstay of Edmonton tourism with over 22 parks, numerous trails, golf courses and a host of other attractions located within its confines. While summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors, winter too has its charm with skiing and ice-skating in the parks.
Also at the top of every list on an Edmonton trip planner is the West Edmonton Mall, which is the largest Shopping mall in North America. Other important stops on your Edmonton itinerary planner must include Fort Edmonton Park, Old Strathcona, Muttart Conservatory, Art Gallery of Alberta and Royal Alberta Museum. Day trips from Edmonton to Elk Island National Park, the Prairie Gardens & Adventure Farm and to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village are also popular.
Edmonton tourism is a mix of art, culture, history, nature, shopping, and host of fun events, restaurants and bars.
Essential travel information and Edmonton tips for your visit
- The crime rate in Edmonton is higher than most other cities in Canada and caution is advised for visitors.
- Avoid the “inner city” area east of downtown after dark as crimes and prostitution has been reported here.
- If you travel out of downtown Edmonton you may get lucky enough to spot the Northern Lights between December and February.
- Outdoor internet is available in areas around Churchill Square and downtown.
- The Emergency number in Edmonton is 911.
- Tipping in restaurants is expected and varies from 5% to 20% depending on the type of establishment.
- Dress in layers, as the weather can be fickle and unpredictable.
Edmonton Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Edmonton. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Edmonton trip planner.