A structure that is reminiscence of Mongal invasion in the 13th century, the castle that stands today is a modern reconstruction. Although, the foundations of the 12th century St. John’s Cathedral are still visible on the eastern side of the complex.
The Istavn Dobo Museum housed in former Bishop’s Palace which dates back to late 15th century explains the history of this magnificent castle. There are many models and drawings worth observing. The Eger Art Gallery displays works of Canaletto and Ceruti. Walk down the Istvan Dobo Museum, the iconic statue of Dobo stands proudly. The terrace of renovated Dobo Bastion constructed in sixteen century collapsed in 1976 but was rebuilt and offers panoramic views of Eger.
Visit the Panoptikum, enjoy a 3D film or just wander in the premises of Eger castle; you will have a good time for sure!
Eger Castle Travel Tips
- Guided tours are available.
- There are periodic exhibition happening inside the castle worth a visit
Entrance Ticket Details For Eger Castle
- The ticket price includes the entry to the museum.
- The ticket for castle grounds 800 HUF.
- Children have discounted entry.
Eger Castle Hours
- The given timings are for castle grounds for May, June, July and August.
- Closing time for castle ground in April and September is 7 pm; closing time for castle ground in March and October is 6 pm; closing time for castle ground in November, December, January and February is 5 pm.
- The exhibits are open from 10 am to 5 pm in May to October and 10 am to 4 pm in November to April.
- Exhibits are closed on Monday.
How to Reach Eger Castle
- Buses 11, 12, 14
- Macok Bisztro es Borbar
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Eger before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Eger and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Eger include Eger Castle in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
73.33% of people start their Eger Castle visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Eger Castle
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Eger Castle