Visit Ensenada - Best of Ensenada
A Mexican holiday is a must on everyone’s bucket list. At least once in your lifetime, you absolutely have to visit one Mexican vacation destination. Although lot of places in Mexico are really inviting, but the best one to begin your exploration journey for Mexico should be Ensenada. Tourism in Ensenada is quite a flourished trade here and the city continues to attract many a tourists, season after season.A typical port town, most people visit Ensenada to laze about on the beaches, to completely unwind with the beautiful views of the sea. Sometimes, they also visit to explore themselves while wandering about the avenues. But most of the times it is to get lost in the beautiful taste and experience of the exquisite wine offered here.
The seen it all locals are lovely companions, visitors from the rest of the Mexico are the best people to show you the Mexican culture that you should definitely be experiencing once in a lifetime at least. Ensenada is more like a non main stream Sin City. Being the capital of Baja in the 1800s, this city slowly transformed into one of the most sought after gambling zones of Mexico until gambling was outlawed in the 1930s.
The beach is amazing to stop by during the day and completely unwind. But the real fun actually begins during the afterhours where the strip clubs, pubs, peep shows and lively bars would make you realize that why did we in the first place describe it as a non mainstream sin city. Although, that is not all that the city has to offer to you. Some lovely museums have weaved their way through in the culture that is so vibrant giving it the much needed slightly laid back pace. So come to Ensenada for an experience that has it all- for the history lover in you, for the person who wants to explore himself on the beach or for the person who completely wants to let go of himself! Each one of you should visit Ensenada at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Ensenada.
Ensenada Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Ensenada tips for your visit
- Time Zone- Central Time Zone (UTC-06:00)
- Currency- Mexican Peso
- Electrical sockets (outlets) in Mexico (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) usually supply electricity at between 110 and 120 volts AC. If you're plugging in a U.S. or Canadian 120 volt appliance, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then an adapter is all you need.
- Internet is not readily available and the speed is quite low too.
- The most commonly spoken language here is Mexican Spanish.Although you can find your way out in English too.
Emergency contact numbers
- Red Cross 174-4545 or 174-4585
- Local police 176-4343
- Firefighters 177-6016 or 1771325
- State Police 176-3636 or 153-2500
- PFP 176-1311 or 176-3640
- Farmacia Del Sol 176-3775
- Proturismo 178-2411
- State Tourism Secretariat 172-5444
- Immigration Office 174-0164 or 174-0165
- Ensenada Chamber of Commerce 174-0994 or 172-3081
- CANIRAC (Chamber of Restaurants) 174-0448 or fax 174-0435
- Consumer Protection (PROFECO) 174-0313
- Fishing licenses and hunting 172-5444 and 178-2411
- City Hall 176-1751
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your belongings. Don’t leave your things unattended and carry just enough cash to get you through the day.
- It’s not advisable to walk around Ensenada with an alcoholic beverage in your hand.
- Be careful while crossing the roads; even though pedestrians have the right of way in Ensenada, a little caution might go a long way.
Off beat Path: Take a cruise ship tour.
- The bagging clerks earn no wage at all. Most people leave them at least 1 to 5 pesos and more if they take your cart out to your car for you and also help you out to load your groceries.
- People do not normally tip taxi drivers. You can choose to do the same if a taxi driver provides extra service.
- If you are happy with the service of your waiter or waitress, then it is customary to leave a tip of 15% of your bill.
- If the service was really up to the mark, then people tend to give a 10% tip if the party was up to 5 persons . If the party was even bigger , then usually a 15% tip is given. Percentage is based on the total amount, including value added taxes.
- Some restaurants add a tip to your bill themselves, regardless of whether or not you’re in a large party. You may come across a charge labeled “propina” which is put on your bill . This is a gratuity that the restaurant includes automatically with each bill. If that is there, then It is not necessary to tip an additional amount.
- At resorts, you can choose to give $1-2 U.S. (20 pesos) for buffets / $5 / 50 pesos pp for an alacarte dinner.
- A minimum of $1-2 (20 pesos) per round of drinks is customary, or if you’re just running a tab,then it is advisable to leave a 15-20% of the total as a tip.
- Remember to leave a tip in the musician or band's tip jar. For an entertaining evening , $5 U.S. is suggested as a minimum. Do not leave foreign coins as they are of no use.
- A tip of $1-2 U.S. per bag is customary, to bell boys who take your bags up a flight of stairs to your room.
- Spa service providers (massage therapists, aestheticians, manicurists, hair stylists) are generally tipped 15-20% of the cost of the spa treatment.
- You will encounter people who will come and approach you and start talking with you. Do not be fooled by their appearance and more importantly, don’t let them take you anywhere for a drink or a bite- you’ll have to foot their bill and might be fleeced in the bargain.
- Mexicans put a high value on hierarchy and structure in business and family matters. Especially outside of cities, families are generally large and Mexicans are very conscious of their responsibilities to immediate family members and extended family such as cousins and even close friends, so do not make fun of that or show how independent you are by living away from your family.
- Greet and bid farewell politely.
Travel to Ensenada- Know before you go to Ensenada
Facts and Stats for Ensenada*
Pollution Statistics in Ensenada
Know the pollution level of Ensenada before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 25 (Low)
Water Pollution 31.25 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 31.25 (Low)
Unattended dirt and garbage 31.25 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 43.75 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 18.75 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 25 (Low)
Ensenada: Crime and Safety
How safe is Ensenada for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Ensenada.
Burglary and Theft 27.08 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 32.29 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 31.52 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 54.35 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 36.46 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 39.58 (Low)
Attacks 25 (Low)
Drug offense 45.65 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 82.29 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 66.67 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 21.74 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 16.3 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 40.63 (Moderate)
Living in Ensenada - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Ensenada is 167.78 (Very High)
Safety Index 67.01 (High)
Climate Index 96.82 (Very High)
Pollution Index 29.74 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 30 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 33.87 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 98.61 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 8.83 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 32.48 (Very Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Ensenada
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Ensenada
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.12 USD
International Movie per seat 3.42 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 22.13 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 52.25 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 35.3 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Attractions in Ensenada
Ensenada Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of
Ensenada Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Ensenada
New on TripHobo Duration: 2 to 3 hrs
Meet your Foodie Guide and enjoy a Tasty Adventure on our Walking Juan More Taco" Food Tour of Ensenada and Experience the Be..
USD 59Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: Flexible
With this tour, youwill discover the Wine and Cheese Route at the Ojos Negros Valley, located east of Ensenada. The route is ..
USD 95Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 45 minutes
This amazing jetpack experience in Ensenada can take you 30 feet in the air and 20 miles per hour forward when your skills ar..
USD 160Book Now
1 Reviews Duration: 5 hours
See the famous blow hole of Ensenada as you join in on this 5-hour tour starting with a horseback riding. You'll then visit L..
USD 65.85Book Now