Events and Festivals in Ernakulam
The festivals in Kerala are full of lights, grandeur and art. The temples and churches are decorated beautifully and the rituals are strictly followed.
- Aluva Sivarathri festival: Held in February- March every year, the festival is celebrated at the Siva temple on the banks of the Periyar river. During this festival, locals offer sacrifices to their ancestors. For two weeks the temple premises have stalls that sell food and clothes.
- Vishu (April): The Vishu festival marks the beginningof a new year in Kerala and is celebrated by lights and fireworks. The traditional meal of Sadya is cooked and holy scriptures, articles of prosperity and fruits and vegetables are kept in front of Lord Krishna for blessings.
- Athachamayam: Held in August-September during Onam, the Athachamayam marks the beginning of the 10-day Onam festival. The Athachamayam is a parade with Kathakali dancers that perform to celebrate the victory of the Raja (King) of Kochi.
- Onam: Held in August-September, the Onam festival is the harvest season in Kerala and is dedicated to King Mahabali - the ruler who brought peace and prosperity to Keralites. All the temples on this day celebrate the festival with prayers, food and rituals.
- Feast of Vallarpadathamma: Pilgrims travel to Ernakulum to see the Feast of Vallarpadathamma and pray to the painting of the Lady of Ransom for getting their wishes fulfilled. The festival is held in September every year.
Trip plans for Ernakulam
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Ernakulam
- Events & Festivals in Vyttila
- Events & Festivals in Edappally
- Events & Festivals in Kakkanad
- Events & Festivals in Kochi
- Events & Festivals in Varapuzha
- Events & Festivals in Kalamassery