Are you looking for what to do in Exeter?
PLACES TO SEE
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum: With exotic animals, insects and birds this museum is a delight for children. The most visited attraction of Exeter, Royal Albert Memorial Museum provides some world class display for children and adults alike.
- Exeter Cathedral: The Cathedral basically speaks its story of survival by being present in such an amazing form even after various atrocities. Featured in various movies, this cathedral is your go-to place for a calm, serene and peaceful spot in the city.
- Rougemont Castle ( Exeter Castle): With an extremely interesting and enlightening past, Exeter Castle offers you a perfect glimpse of luxurious and royal living through the past times. With a beautiful garden on the side, this castle should definitely be on your list.
- Killerton House: Open to Public since 1944, it is unfortunate that people before the 40`s did not get a chance to see this amazing collection of costumes and this extensively well maintained house. The landscaping of the gardens at Killerton House reflects on brilliant minds and is one of the most beautiful collections of exotic plants and trees in Exeter.
- Bill Douglas Cinema Museum: A part of University of Exeter, this Museum offers you a journey of the audio visual museum ever since its inception to its present day condition. With a collection of entire Bill Douglas works and various other interesting artworks, this place is a must visit for any cinema lover.
- Northernhay Gardens: Infamous for the hanging of witches in the 1800s, this garden has less freaky stories also related to it that would make you want to visit. With beautiful landscaping and lovely planning, it is truly one of the highlights of Exeter.
- Exeter Catacombs: Initially made for the burial of dead-bodies, this place was mainly used by local families from in and around Exeter for the basic reason of burying the dead further than close vicinity. These Catacombs are famous for housing dead bodies during various disasters in the city and giving place to unidentified dead bodies over time.
- Bicton Gardens: These Gardens have been existing since the past 300 years and are a great way to understand the horticultural history of this area. With various small gardens making the whole of Bicton Gardens together, these gardens are a perfect botanical getaway for you.
- Medieval Churches: There are various Medieval Churches in the city, namely St Martin`s, St Thomas the Apostle, St Mary Arches, St Mary Steps, St Olave's, St Petrock's, St Stephen's out of which most of them come under the central Parish control of Exeter but you should definitely try to visit as many churches as you can for they make you understand the religious mindset of people belonging to a certain city very well.
- University of Exeter: It is not exactly one of the attractions as disturbing students is never a great option. But the walks here and the beautiful campus definitely deserve a visit if you happen to be in the city. Basically, if you can manage to take a walk around the campus without disturbing any daily activities, then do not miss this attraction at all! After all, the city is known for its university.
THINGS TO DO
- Pub hopping: The Quayside is full of lovely pubs and you must definitely spend a night or two shuttling between Arena, Moonraker, Monkeysuit and various other pubs in the city. The city is quite safe so do not have qualms about intoxicating yourself to a certain level. Pub hopping is definitely one of the most fun things to do in Exeter.
- City Adventures: You can go for a forest adventure to Haldon Forest Park. The canal and the river offer you various activities for water sports. While you are here, definitely try to catch one of these.
- Plays at Northcott theatre: Various local groups perform at Northcott theatre and you should try to catch a live performance if possible. There are various groups performing lovely theatre and music events here.
Below we have a list of things to do in Exeter and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Exeter getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Exeter with confidence.