Visit Farafra - Best of Farafra
Egypt, since times immemorial, has been the land of culture, food and mystery for outsiders and now even after rapid industrialization, still manages to throw in a few surprises in your face. The land of pyramids and mummies is one of the most ancient civilizations to still exist on the face of Earth. Countless Pharaohs and kingdoms sprung up around the Nile and flourished extensively because of the always predictable flooding, which brought with it new soil laden with nutrients and nourishment each year.
A small city in this great land is the city of Farafra. The Farafra depression is the second largest depression in Western Egypt and is located in the biggest Western Desert of Egypt, that is, the White Desert. The desert is an excellent place for camping and sightseeing and attracts thousands of visitors every year.
Farafra is also an ideal place to head ahead to the hot springs of Bir Sitta and the El-Mufid Lake. Also the Bard’s Museum should be added to your itinerary for its wonderful artistic sculptures and carvings.
All in all, Farafra might sound like an unlikely destination when you plan a list of things to do in Egypt, but if you can take out the time, is a must visit place for its beautiful desert landscapes and the peaceful serenity it brings to the visitors. Sitting under the open sky in the middle of the desert might just make you come closer to the times when everything in life seemed so simple and every day was a box of joy ready to be unwrapped.
Farafra Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Farafra tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC +2 hours
- Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)
- Electricity and Internet: Standard output is 220-240V. WiFi connectivity is present in some hotels and cellular connectivity provides 2G and 3G services.
- Languages: Local language is Egyptian Arabic. Some people know very basic English
- Security: Tourist Police: 126, Ambulance: 123, Fire Service: 180, Gas Emergency: 129
- Tipping: Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance to cover you while you’re away.
Are you looking for a Farafra travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!