Castello Estense is a charming medieval castle that is located in the heart of the city of Ferrara. Symbolized as the face of the city, the towering Castello Estence was erected upon the orders of Nicolò II d'Este in 1385. The castle has elements of the Renaissance style of architecture and has quite an interesting story behind its construction.
The major highlights of the Castello Estense are:
- The moat and the drawbridges to the three entrances overlooking the brickwork ravelins.
- The frescoed courtyard containing the gallery of portraits of the Este family.
- The Gothic rooms having cross-vaulted ceilings and a series of panels depicting the socio-political life of the times.
- The dungeons where the lovers Parisina Malatesta and Ugo (the Marquis’s son) were imprisoned and tortured.
- The Lion’s Tower which served as a watchtower as well as the headquarters for the Este army.
- The Loggia and the Garden of the Oranges which emanate with the fragrance of oranges and have impressive architectural elements.
- Cabinet of the Bacchanalia where the wall to the right displays scenes from the myth of Bacchus.
- The Ducal Chapel that is adorned with frescoes depicting the Four Evangelists.
- The Chamber of Dawn that has a stunning ceiling display illustrating the four parts of the day.
- The Saletta dei Giochi (Small Chamber of Games) which has paintings of the Four Seasons on its ceilings along with a number of beautiful frescoes.
- The Saletta dei Veleni (Small Chamber of Poisons), the ceiling of which dates back to the 20th century and illustrates Italy and its conquests during the Fascist period.
- The Hall of Games which has 11 panels depicting different varieties of sports.
- Saint Paul’s Tower which contains images on the walls displaying Diana and small panels depicting the Four Seasons.
- The Coats of Arms Room that exhibits two series of coat of arms from the period of the Papal States.
- The Council Room that depicts the stages of the liberation movement of the city through its art and design.
Apart from the above, the Castello Estense is full of small fascinating exhibits and art that can leave you spellbound. Some sections of the castle are being used as government offices presently. To find more information about Ferrara, you can also visit the tourist office in the inner courtyard, which is available in a variety of different languages.
Castello Estence Travel Tips
- Guided tours are recommended for the tourists. Please check out their schedules before booking.
- Check out the café and the bookshop where you can grab a bite to eat and buy some souvenirs as well.
- June 2nd 2015: Free entry.
Entrance Ticket Details For Castello Estence
6, 00 €:
- People under 18
- Groups containing more than 15 people
- People over 65
- Members of associations with agreement
- Students up to 25 years old (school documentation required)
- The entrance ticket to the exhibition "Boldini Lo spettacolo della modernità" entitles the reduced ticket to the exhibition in the Castle "L'arte per l'Arte".
- School parties (children between 12-18 years old)
- Children under 12 years
- For each paying adult in a family, 1 minor enters free.
- Didactic activities.
4,00 € (with the right to reduced ticket):
- Guided tour
- Guided tour (6-18 years old)
- Entrance to the Lions Tower (This site however, has been temporarily closed)
- Children under 6 years.
- Soldiers in uniform.
- Tour guides, tour leaders, interpreters and teachers who are on duty.
- Ferrara Province staff when on duty.
- Disabled people and their carers.
- Journalists with the press card.
- Art historians and critics authorized by the Castle Management.
- Guests of Ferrara Province authorized by the Presidence.
This museum is included in "MyFe Card" Ferrara, the combined ticket for the Museums of Ferrara.
June 2nd 2015: Free entry.
Castello Estence Hours
- Jan 31-May 31 2015 & September: Ticket office closes 4.45 pm.
- Museum Night on May 16 2015: The castle reopens from 7:00 pm to 12:00 am after the normal daily hours. Last admission is at 11:00 pm.
- June 1st to June 30th 2015: Ticket office closes at 6:15 pm.
- July 1st to August 31st 2015: Ticket office closes at 6:15 pm.
- October 1st to December 31st 2015: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm. Ticket office closes at 4:45 pm.
How to Reach Castello Estence
- Train Station: Stazione di Ferrara.
- Bus: No. 4, 11 and 390 at stop Corso Martiri.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ferrara before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ferrara and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ferrara include Castello Estence in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
90.15% of people start their Castello Estence visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Castello Estence
84.03% of people prefer walking in order to reach Castello Estence