Translated as the ‘Walls of Ferrara’, the Le Mura di Ferrara comprises of 9 kilometers of fortifications surrounding the city. Dating back to the Middle Ages with a few restorations in the 15th and 16th centuries, the walls are the perfect places to explore via long walks and cycles. Beginning this route from the Castello Estense, the must-see attractions along the Le Mura di Ferrara are:
- The Porta degli Angeli, a historic monument in the northern part of the walls that was constructed in early-16th century as a watch tower but whose functions changed over the years.
- The various ramparts, ports and passageways that display the different defensive techniques which developed over the centuries.
- The Herculean Addition of Fortifications, distinguished by semicircular turrets and a long walkway to the sentries.
- The Tower of St. John in the north and eastern sides of the Porta degli Angeli, distinctive by its circular structure characteristic of the Renaissance style of architecture.
- The statue of Giorgio de Chirico, the famous Italian metaphysical painter.
Apart from the above, the Le Mura de Ferrara are surrounded by green trees and meadows. These beautiful views make the walls to be a big garden and a resting place for tourists and inhabitants alike. To cycle throughout this place, you can hire bikes at numerous outlets in the city.
Le Mura Di Ferrara Travel Tips
- A walk along the Via delle Erbe is recommended to enjoy the delights of a countryside located in the heart of the urban city of Ferrara.
- Keep a map of Ferrara handy as you can easily lose your way in the gaps along the road.
- Take notice of road crossings and use the properly marked and appropriate steps only.
How to Reach Le Mura Di Ferrara
- Bus: No. 312 and 340 at stop Azzo Novello.
- No. 4, 13 and 390 at stop XXV Aprile Mirasole.
- No. 3, 4, 13 and 390 at stop XXV Aprile Partigiani.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ferrara before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ferrara and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ferrara include Le Mura Di Ferrara in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
54.05% of people start their Le Mura Di Ferrara visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Le Mura Di Ferrara
93% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Le Mura Di Ferrara