The Palazzo di Lodovico Il Moro is also known as the Palazzo Costabili, after Antonio Costabili, an important nobleman in the court of duke Ercole I d'Este. Costabili had commissioned the palace to the famous architect Biagio Rossetti in 1495. Although the palace was not fully built, the architectural brilliance of Rossetti can still be seen in it and it currently houses the National Archaeological Museum of Ferrara.
The major highlights of the palace are as follows:
- The Courtyard of Honor which has ornamental sculptures carved on it in white stone and is decorated with a magnificent colonnade. It is however, only completed on two sides.
- The Treasure Hall that has a brilliantly painted ceiling and frescoes according to the Bridal Chamber of Mantegna.
- The Hall of Maps which showcases reproductions of old maps.
- The grand Renaissance garden that represents historical formal gardens and contains a wide variety of trees and plants.
- The National Archaeological Museum that exhibits a beautiful collection of artefacts which includes pottery figures and paintings.
The palazzo also has detailed descriptions about the exhibits in English and a friendly staff who can guide you through the place.
Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro Travel Tips
- It is recommended to visit the palazzo in the evening as many concerts are organised at that time.
Entrance Ticket Details For Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro
- € 3: EU visitors aged 1825 years.
- Free: Visitors under 18
- EU archaeology/art/architecture students
- Visitors with disabilities
Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro Hours
- The ticket office closes at 4:30 pm every day.
How to Reach Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro
- Bus: No. 2 from stop Museo Di Spina
- No. 2 from stop Porta Romana
- No. 6, 13 and 323 from stop Alfonso d'Este Carlo Mayr
- No. 2 from stop XX Settembre Ghisiglieri
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ferrara before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ferrara and book an accommodation of your choice.
56.27% of people who visit Ferrara include Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
32.39% of people start their Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro
53.03% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Palazzo Di Lodovico Il Moro