Fes El-baliCurrently Open
- Address: Fes, Morocco
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Market, Family And Kids, Architecture , Old Town, Unesco Site
Fes’s oldest walled city or medina is now mentioned on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. It was built sometime around 800 AD. It also houses the world’s oldest functioning university. Recent statistics show that it also may be the world’s biggest car-free urban area. When it was first constructed, it was the capital of the Idrisid dynasty, the creators of Fes. Once upon a time, it was the capital of Morocco. Today, it is an important marketplace and includes several tourist spots in its walls. Citizens residing above the shops make this area one of the most densely populated regions of the world. Look out for the styles of buildings on each street as well as the main buildings. Each of them is a tribute to the Moroccan style of architecture. You can shop for things like shoes, spices, Moroccan craft items etc. in the markets. If you are keen on seeing more examples of Moroccan architecture, you can pay a visit to the Cherratin Madrasa.
- Take care of your belongings.
- Hire a licensed guide only. Do not encourage guides from the markets to show you around. Most hotels provide a guide on request. Negotiate before agreeing to the guide.
- Avoid engaging anyone except your licensed guide in the market.
- Do not enter shops on the insistence of the shopkeepers.
- Buy a map before you explore the old city.
- By Bus: Bab Mahrouk, Batha, Gare Bus 54, Bab Ftouh, Iben Battouta
- By Taxi: you can take a taxi to one of the many gates in the old city and walk down from there.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fes and book an accommodation of your choice.
82.69% of people who visit Fes include Fes El-bali in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
74.81% of people start their Fes El-bali visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Fes El-bali
64.06% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fes El-bali