Fethiye is a Turkish town surrounded by an expansive turquoise coast, which tells the history of Roman and Christian past through its scattered vestiges lying within its folds. Fethiye will bewitch you with its sheer beauty, splendour and ancient setup. Once a quaint fishing village, Fethiye’s image today stands for Turkey’s tourism with a range of beaches along the hillside, an Old Town and ruins which recreate the glory of Roman Era. Situated in Lycia, on the coast of Mediterranean, a visit to Fethiye will uncover the stony layers of Telmessos, an ancient world.
A gateway to Oludeniz, an emblematic lagoon which delineates the beauty of Turkey, Fethiye revels in its natural coastal charm. The nearby Kayakoy will unearth the lives of people, who left the village deserted, waiting to be resurrected by travellers. In terms of its culture, its civilization, its tourism and its nature, Fethiye is a storyteller of its own kind.
Severely hit by an earthquake in 1958, the town stands for resilience as most of it has been rebuild and modernised. However, the city keeps its historic self abreast and thus emanates a seductive mystery which adds a unique colour to its tourism.
Essential travel information and Fethiye tips for your visit
- The Sun in Fethiye is very strong in summer season especially in August. Always wear a T-shirt, hat, sunglasses and a high factor sunscreen lotion.
- Turks in Fethiye region live with the risk of forest fire. The danger period is from July to August when the sun is strongest. During this time observe some simple safety precautions.
- Never swim under the influence of alcohol or directly after a meal.
- Learn a few words of the Turkish language, such as “Hello”, “Thank You”.
- In Turkey, there are no fixed prices. Especially on markets and in small shops, you have to discuss prices. Usually you can get a discount of 40% to 60%.
- Most of the restaurants display their food in windows, or waiters can bring the samples if you request.
- Water, although it is safe to drink tap water, it is recommended to buy bottled water for drinking, because the city water is chlorinated for sanitation reasons of which you might not like the smell.
Fethiye Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Fethiye. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Fethiye trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Fethiye
Save 7%Boat trip to 12 islands with lunch
9 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 7%Independent Rhodes Day Trip by FerryNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Fethiye Boat Cruise Including Lunch
10 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 4%Pamukkale Full-Day Guided TourNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Dalaman River Rafting From MarmarisNew on TripHobo
Save 7%2-day Ancient Ephesus and Pamukkale Hot Springs TourNew on TripHobo