About Kayakoy, Fethiye
Kayakoy, Fethiye - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: KayaKoy, Mugla, Avanos-Goreme Highway, Turkey
Ticket Price: 8 TRY
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:30 am - 06:30 pm Details
Added 9.1K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Outdoors, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Located just 8 km South of Fethiye is the sombre village of Kayakoy (ancient Karmylassos) which had once proudly housed Greeks and Turks together. However, the Population exchange in 1923 led to the uprooting of ethnic Greeks across Turkey and sending them back to reside in Greece. On the other hand, the Muslims who had come over here as the result of Treaty of Lausanne, could not cope up with the infertility of the region and therefore abandoned Kayakoy for other regions in Turkey. With its museum and 500 ruins of the deserted houses, the site is reminiscent of the heartbreak and trauma which resulted from this mass migration Known as a “ghost town”, Kayakoy was adopted by UNESCO as a World Friendship and Peace Village. The features of the village include:
- An Old fountain which dates back to 1888.
- Two abandoned churches known as “upper” and “lower” church due to the difference in their elevation.
- Little chapel on the top of the hill which offers beautiful view of the sea and the valley below.
- The vicinity of the “Lower Church” which has been converted into a Museum.
In addition to witnessing the ruins, the site offers plenty of activities for the visitors. Some of these are:
- Horseback Riding.
- Kayakoy Art Camp, which offers workshops on photography, pottery, painting, traditional carpet weaving and woodwork.
- Hiking to Cold Water Bay.
- Wear shoes that help you in Trekking.
Kayakoy Ticket Prices
- Entrance Fee to visit the Museum in Kayakoy, 8TL.
How To reach Kayakoy by Public Transport
- Dolmus from Downtown Fethiye.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fethiye before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fethiye and book an accommodation of your choice.
Kayakoy, Fethiye Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Köse Giyim
- Yacht Classic Hotel
- Jiva Beach Resort
- Cleopatra Pools
- Fethiye Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Fethiye
- What to See in 48 Hours in Fethiye
- What to See in 72 Hours in Fethiye
- How to Spend 5 Days in Fethiye
- How to Spend 6 Days in Fethiye
- How to Spend 7 Days in Fethiye