Flensburg (Danish: Flensborg, Low Saxon: Flensborg, North Frisian: Flansborj, South Jutlandic: Flensborre) is an independent town (kreisfreie Stadt) in the north of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. Flensburg is the centre of the region of Southern Schleswig. After Kiel and Lübeck it is the third largest town in Schleswig-Holstein. In May 1945 Flensburg was the site of the last government of Nazi Germany, the so-called Flensburg government led by Karl Dönitz, which was in power from 1 May (Hitler's death) for one week until German armies surrendered and the town was occupied by Allied troops. The regime was officially dissolved on 23 May. The nearest larger towns are Kiel (86 kilometres (53 miles) south) and Odense in Denmark (92 km (57 mi) northeast).Flensburg's city centre lies about 7 km (4 mi) from the Danish border. In Germany, Flensburg is known for
* the nationwide database of traffic violators (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt), also called Verkehrssünderkartei ("traffic sinner card file")
* its beer Flensburger Pilsener, also called "Flens"
* the centre of the Danish national minority in Germany
* the greeting Moin Moin
* the large erotic mail-order companies Beate Uhse and Orion
* its handball team SG Flensburg-Handewitt
* the Naval Academy at Mürwik with its sail training ship Gorch Fock Wikipedia
Planning a vacation to Flensburg in Germany? This vacation planner will provide you with all the essential information you need. Flensburg is located at a short trip away from Hamburg a major city in Germany. Attractions in Hamburg include St Michaels Church, Planten Un Blomen, Speicherstadt. A vacation to Flensburg can typically be of 1-2 days. Immerse in the spirit of the city and you'll not miss your home.
Get, set and plan a journey with this amazing travel planner for Flensburg that shall leave you with plenty of memories at the end of your trip.
Explore the best travel planner for your visit to Flensburg and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!