Basilica Di San Miniato Al MonteCurrently Open [Closes at 01:00 pm]
- Address: Via delle Porte Sante, 34, 50125 Florence, Italy, 50125
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-552342731
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Landmarks, Historic And Protected Sites
One of Tuscany’s greatest examples of Romansque architecture soars above the city from atop one of its highest hills. According to legend, Minas, the Armenian prince after whom the church is named was sentenced to be eaten by a panther by Roman Emperor Decius. When the panther refused to eat him, Minas was beheaded instead. Not letting that deter him, Minas picked up his head and walked up to this hill to his hermitage. In the 8th century, a chapel was built here, but the building you see today was begun in 1013.
Highlights of the church are:
- A choir raised above the crypt.
- The 15th century Chapel of the Crucifix by Michelozzo.
- The 13th century mosaic of Christ between the Virgin and St Minias.
- Frescoes by Taddeo Gaddi in the vault.
- The crypt, which is thought to contain the bones of Minas himself.
- The 13th century mosaics on the apse.
- The magnificent fresco cycle on St Benedict’s life on the sacristy.
- Memorial to Cardinal James of Lusitania, who was a Portuguese ambassador to Florence.
There’s a monastery next to the church, run by the Olivetan monks, though it used to be Benedictine. Today, the monks are famous for the liqueurs, honey and herbal teas they produce to sell at their on-site shop. Around the complex, you’ll see the wall Michelangelo built during the siege of Florence. There’s a cemetery full important dignitaries there.
- Bus 12 and 13 stop S.Miniato Al M. 01
- La Breppa
- Osteria San Niccolo
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
50.64% of people who visit Florence include Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
43.46% of people start their Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte
73.87% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte
A bus stop right out front makes getting to this gem easy to get to. There are a decent amount of stairs, but very much worth the walk up. This is a good place to go to first and then walk down the hill to the Plaza Michelangelo. It is free to enter. There was some construction/repair at my time of visit, but it was still quiet and cool. There is a small tomb in the lower levels that captures the old feel of the city. I would highly recommend a visit.
Great little church to stop and see on the #12 bus ride from Porto Romana. Established 100 years ago. Can go inside for free but it is the views of city that make the place special. Easily walkable from (or to) Pizzalle Michelangelo.
Beautiful place with amazing views. The area is free to enter. However there are two scammers wearing lime green t-shirts standing outside the gates asking you to sign a petition for the "War on Drugs", but actually they're trying to make you "donate" money. They were very rude to us when we refused. Avoid these people.
Amazing view of the city of Florence and not as crowded as the Piazza Michelangelo at sunset/sunrise.
Super views of the city of Florence. Great spot to see the sunset over the city and capture the panorama.