Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte9603 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Via delle Porte Sante, 34, 50125 Florence, Italy, 50125
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-552342731
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Landmarks, Historic And Protected Sites
One of Tuscany’s greatest examples of Romansque architecture soars above the city from atop one of its highest hills. According to legend, Minas, the Armenian prince after whom the church is named was sentenced to be eaten by a panther by Roman Emperor Decius. When the panther refused to eat him, Minas was beheaded instead. Not letting that deter him, Minas picked up his head and walked up to this hill to his hermitage. In the 8th century, a chapel was built here, but the building you see today was begun in 1013.
Highlights of the church are:
- A choir raised above the crypt.
- The 15th century Chapel of the Crucifix by Michelozzo.
- The 13th century mosaic of Christ between the Virgin and St Minias.
- Frescoes by Taddeo Gaddi in the vault.
- The crypt, which is thought to contain the bones of Minas himself.
- The 13th century mosaics on the apse.
- The magnificent fresco cycle on St Benedict’s life on the sacristy.
- Memorial to Cardinal James of Lusitania, who was a Portuguese ambassador to Florence.
There’s a monastery next to the church, run by the Olivetan monks, though it used to be Benedictine. Today, the monks are famous for the liqueurs, honey and herbal teas they produce to sell at their on-site shop. Around the complex, you’ll see the wall Michelangelo built during the siege of Florence. There’s a cemetery full important dignitaries there.
How to Reach Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte
- Bus 12 and 13 stop S.Miniato Al M. 01
- La Breppa
- Osteria San Niccolo
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
41.06% of people who visit Florence include Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
43.46% of people start their Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte
73.87% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte
Basilica Di San Miniato Al Monte Reviews & Ratings
I want to visit Sn Miniato almonte in frolence. It is difficult for me to climb the stairs in front of the church. Can we get there by taxi or by attending some tour?Answer Report Abuse
You can hire a taxi which can follow the signs for Piazzale Michelangiolo and then stop at the terrace or in front of the church. For further assistance, it is recommended that you ask the locals around.Report Abuse