Basilica Di Santa Maria Del FioreCurrently Open
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, Firenze, Italy, Florence
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-552302885
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Statue, Family And Kids, Architecture
The early 14th century Gothic Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Flower is Florence’s most important church. It took almost a century and a half to complete. Actually, it wasn’t entirely finished until well into the 19th century. Right outside the church, you’ll find statues of the two architects who built it - Arnolfo di Cambio and Filippo Brunelleschi. Famous for it’s magnificent Renaissance dome (the Cupola del Brunelleschi), the church has a lavish marble exterior but plain interior, where the main décor are the mosaic patterns on the floor.
Other highlights of the church:
- In the crypt, you can see the remains of an earlier 7th century church – The Santa Reparata.
- The 15th century clock by Paolo Uccello that marks the end of the day at sunset.
- Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment.
- The ornate main portal of three bronze doors, and the mosaics in the lunettes above the doors.
- Gallery with busts of great Florentine artists, between the rose window and the tympanum.
- Many paintings and frescoes in the interior that pay homage to great personalities of Florence’s past, such as Dante Before the City of Florence, the Funerary Monument to Sir John Hawkwood, the Equestrian statue of Niccolò da Tolentino.
- The 44 stained glass windows.
- The funeral monument of Antonio d'Orso.
- The 3,600 metres² (38 750 ft²) of painting of The Last Judgment.
You can actually climb to the top of the cathedral’s dome, but it’s an intimidating task! There are 463 steps to the top, and no elevator. And the view is absolutely worth it. It’s also the only way to properly see the insides of the dome.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore Travel Tips
- Disabled access through the Porta dei Canonici (south side).
- You can rent an audio guide inside.
- Dress appropriately.
Entrance Ticket Details For Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore
- EUR 10 to climb the cupola/dome via OPA Pass. It also covers the Museum, the Santa Reparata, the Baptistery.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore Hours
- Good Friday: 10:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Closed on Easter Day and Epiphany.
- On some Thurdays, it may close at 4pm.
How to Reach Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore
- Buses 14, 23, and C1 stop Pucci
- Bus C2 stop Oriuolo
- Bus 6 and 11 stop Vecchietti
- Buca San Giovvani
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
87.56% of people who visit Florence include Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
41.67% of people start their Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore
87.38% of people prefer walking in order to reach Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore