Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, Florence
About Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, Florence
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, Florence - Address, Phone Number
Address: Piazza del Duomo, Firenze, Italy
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 161K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Statue, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The early 14th century Gothic Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Flower is Florence’s most important church. It took almost a century and a half to complete. Actually, it wasn’t entirely finished until well into the 19th century. Right outside the church, you’ll find statues of the two architects who built it - Arnolfo di Cambio and Filippo Brunelleschi. Famous for it’s magnificent Renaissance dome (the Cupola del Brunelleschi), the church has a lavish marble exterior but plain interior, where the main décor are the mosaic patterns on the floor.
Other highlights of the church:
- In the crypt, you can see the remains of an earlier 7th century church – The Santa Reparata.
- The 15th century clock by Paolo Uccello that marks the end of the day at sunset.
- Giorgio Vasari's frescoes of the Last Judgment.
- The ornate main portal of three bronze doors, and the mosaics in the lunettes above the doors.
- Gallery with busts of great Florentine artists, between the rose window and the tympanum.
- Many paintings and frescoes in the interior that pay homage to great personalities of Florence’s past, such as Dante Before the City of Florence, the Funerary Monument to Sir John Hawkwood, the Equestrian statue of Niccolò da Tolentino.
- The 44 stained glass windows.
- The funeral monument of Antonio d'Orso.
- The 3,600 metres² (38 750 ft²) of painting of The Last Judgment.
You can actually climb to the top of the cathedral’s dome, but it’s an intimidating task! There are 463 steps to the top, and no elevator. And the view is absolutely worth it. It’s also the only way to properly see the insides of the dome.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore Information
- Disabled access through the Porta dei Canonici (south side).
- You can rent an audio guide inside.
- Dress appropriately.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore Ticket Prices
- EUR 10 to climb the cupola/dome via OPA Pass. It also covers the Museum, the Santa Reparata, the Baptistery.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore Opening and Closing Hours
- Good Friday: 10:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Closed on Easter Day and Epiphany.
- On some Thurdays, it may close at 4pm.
How To reach Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore by Public Transport
- Buses 14, 23, and C1 stop Pucci
- Bus C2 stop Oriuolo
- Bus 6 and 11 stop Vecchietti
Restaurants Near Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore
- Buca San Giovvani
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, Florence Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Palazzo Tolomei
- Villa Il Gioiello
- Caffè Sabatino
- Inferno Tour Florence
- Gelateria La Sorbettiera
- Il Gelato Gourmet Di Marco Ottaviano
- Hotel Nuova Italia - 2 Stelle Firenze
- Piazza Santo Spirito
- Sergio Pollini Lampredotto
- Ristorante Alla Griglia
- Florence Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Florence
- What to See in 48 Hours in Florence
- What to See in 72 Hours in Florence
- How to Spend 5 Days in Florence
- How to Spend 6 Days in Florence
- How to Spend 7 Days in Florence