How to Reach Florence - The Easiest Way to Reach Florence
HOW TO GET TO FLORENCE
- By Air: Amerigo Vespucci international airport, also known as Peretola is the main airport of Florence and offers connections to major destinations all across Europe.
- Once reached the airport, you can reach the city centre by hiring a taxi or taking the local bus. The ‘Vola in Bus’ offers connection between the airport and the central railway station and is available from 05.30 am to 08.00 pm.
- For cheaper flights, you can take a flight to the Pisa Airport which is connected to Florence by both bus and train.
- By Train: Florence is connected to the major Italian cities by fast, efficient and express trains. The main station is Firenze Santa Maria Novella located near the historic old town. There are also trains to German cities like Munich from the Florence SMN train station.
- By Car: The A-1 highway connects Florence to cities like Bologna, Milan and the North, and to Rome and the South. You can also take the A-11 highway of coming from Pisa. Parking charges and fines are heavy, Florence being one of the most fined cities in Italy. So, be careful if you are travelling to Florence by car.
- By Bus: You can alternatively reach Florence by hopping on a bus from Rome.
HOW TO GET AROUND FLORENCE
The best tip for a Florence trip is to buy the Firenze Card which allows entry to around 30 museums in the city and access to all the public transports. The pass is valid for 72 hours and will also enable you to skip a few queues for selected museums (check out the available tours of Florence museums).
- On foot: Since most of the major attractions in Florence are located within the historic old town, exploring the town on foot will enable you to enjoy the local spirit.
- By Bicycle: You can hire a bike at the hotel or at the SMN station and explore the city on a bike. There are also guided bike tours that will help you roam around the city of Florence.
- By Taxi: Taxis are an expensive mode of transportation and you have to call ahead for the taxis before your ride. The meter starts ticking as soon as you book and you end up paying for more than the actual distance that you have travelled. Make sure the meters are working. Tipping is not expected unless the driver helps you to carry the luggage. The SMN station is the best place to hire a taxi.
- By Bus: Buses are a good option if you want to skip the walking. There are various different tickets for 1 day, 2 days and 3 days in Florence. If you are travelling in a group, you can buy the tickets in bulk and save some Euros.
- By Tram: One tram line operates in the city and connects SMN train station to South-western hub of Scandicci with 14 stops in between. Again, many combined tickets are available.
- By car: Hiring a car to get around in Florence is probably not a good idea, since the historic centre doesn’t have wide and broad roads good enough to travel. Parking is also extremely difficult to find.
Are you looking for a Florence travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Florence
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Florence. The most preferred mode of transport in Florence is Walking.
Average distance: 16.27 km Average time: 34 min
Walking 38.46%Walking 27.4 min Motorbike 4 min Driving 3 min Train 1.2 min Waiting 1 min Overall average time for 6.3 kms 36.6 min
Motorbike 15.38%Motorbike 20 min Overall average time for 6.5 kms 20 min
Train/Metro 7.69%Train 20 min Bus 5 min Waiting 1 min Walking 1 min Overall average time for 15 kms 27 min
Car 23.08%Driving 27.67 min Walking 3.67 min Overall average time for 19.33 kms 31.33 min
Bus/Trolleybus 15.38%Bus 42.5 min Waiting 5 min Walking 1.5 min Overall average time for 47 kms 49 min
How to Reach Florence from Nearby Cities
|Campi bisenzio to Florence||6.95 km||6 mins|
|Signa to Florence||7.43 km||7 mins|
|Prato to Florence||13.11 km||13 mins|
|San gimignano to Florence||36.9 km||36 mins|
|Siena to Florence||53.31 km||53 mins|
|Volterra to Florence||53.6 km||53 mins|
|Casciana terme to Florence||67.21 km||1 hour 7 mins|
|Bologna to Florence||80.01 km||1 hour 20 mins|
|Cerasomma to Florence||82.18 km||1 hour 22 mins|
|Pisa to Florence||85.73 km||1 hour 25 mins|