Piazza Della Repubblica2315 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza della Repubblica, 50123 Firenze, Italy, 50122, Florence
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-0114369741
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Market, Square, Family And Kids, Landmarks, Buildings And Structures
If you walk into this square and witness a strange fusion of old and new justaposed awkwardly on each other, there’s a very good reason. In the medieval ages, this aused to be location of the Mercato Vecchio and the commercial and political centre of the city. After the formation of the Kingdom of Italy, it was decided that this entire place ought to be torn down and built anew to represent a united and progressive people.
The world reacted in anger at the destruction of such an important bit o heritage, and combining that with running out of funds, luckily only the market and the old ghetto were demolished. Today, the highlights of the square are:
- Colonna dell'Abbondanza (Column of Abundance)
- The Arcone Thriumphal Arch
- Giubbe Rosse – A cafe that was very popular with turn of the century writers.
- Caffe Gilli (to the right) and of the Caffe Paszkowski (on the left).
- The Savoy Hotel
How to Reach Piazza Della Repubblica
- Bus C2; stop- Republica
- Bus 6 and 11; stop- Vecchietti
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
9.99% of people who visit Florence include Piazza Della Repubblica in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
43.68% of people start their Piazza Della Repubblica visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Piazza Della Repubblica
83.56% of people prefer walking in order to reach Piazza Della Repubblica