San Marco Convent Church And MuseumCurrently Closed
- Address: Piazza San Marco, 3, 50121 Firenze, Italy, Florence
- Timings: 08:15 am - 01:50 pm Details
- Phone: +39-552388608
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Library, Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids
San Marco Convent Church And Museum - Review
The painter Fra Angelico and the preacher Girolamo Savonarola lived at this 15th century church and convent once upon a time. Of the former, the museum hosts the world’s largest collection of his paintings. Furthermore, the convent library, built by Michelozzo, houses an incredibly precious collection of manuscripts. This library was famous as a meeting place for progressive thinkers wanting to look up ancient classical texts in Greek and Latin.
Some of the highlights of the church:
- A 17th century neo-classical façade.
- Collection of 16th–17th century paintings. Of these,a 14th-century crucifix is most important.
- Cappella di Sant'Antonino by Giambologna.
- The dome of the chapel and the frescoes in the Sacrament Chapel are by Bernardino Poccetti.
- The 16th-17th century Cloister of St. Antoninus, frescoed by Bernardino Poccetti, which is the entrance to the museum.
- The San Marco Altarpiece
- The many smaller frescoes
- Two historical cells – one in whichSavonarola resided, and one in which Cosimo the Elder meditated.
- A beautiful 15th century Last Supper fresco by Ghirlandaio.
The church is tomb to Giovanni Pico della Mirandola and the poet Angelo Poliziano, amongst other significant personalities.
San Marco Convent Church And Museum Ticket Prices
- Cash payment only.
- EUR 2 for reduced price categories.
How To reach San Marco Convent Church And Museum by Public Transport
- Bus 10; stop- San Marco Rettorato
- Bus C1; stop- Cavour
- Bus 6, 14, 19, 23, 31; stops- Ss. Annunziata - Istituto Degli Innocent
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting San Marco Convent Church And Museum
20.9% of people who visit Florence include San Marco Convent Church And Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
33.14% of people start their San Marco Convent Church And Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see San Marco Convent Church And Museum
63.91% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting San Marco Convent Church And Museum
San Marco Convent Church And Museum Trips
1 View12 Days 11 Nights17 Day Trip to Rome, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre, Positano, Capri from MilanBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Rome, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre
1 View35 Days 34 Nights35 Day Trip to France, Italy, United Kingdom, Spain from Blankenfelde-mahlowBy: Guest UserCity: London, Paris, Nice, Barcelona, Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Milan
1 View15 Days 14 Nights15 Day Trip to Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Florence from CairoBy: Guest UserCity: Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Florence
San Marco Convent Church And Museum, Florence Reviews
Stayed there a few years ago friendly staff close walking distance to all tourist sites
Grande Enzo salutoni dal messico