Santa Maria Maggiore396 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Vicolo di Santa Maria Maggiore, 1, 50123 Firenze, Italy, Florence
- Timings: 07:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-055215914
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Ancient Ruin, Family And Kids, Tomb
Constructed in the 11th century, the church was given collegiate status. In the 13th century, it was renovated and rebuilt in Gothic style, but it began to decline once again in the 15th century. Today, of the original Romanesque building, only the bell tower survives. It’s quite unadorned from the outside (apart from a curious and solitary Roman head called Berta) – inside however, there is a lot of magic happening – there’s quite a number of artwork inside, such as:
- Frescoes by Bernardino Poccetti.
- Nativity by Matteo Rosselli.
- The relief of Madonna del Carmelo, by Coppo di Marcovaldo.
- The tomb of Brunetto Latini.
- A sarcophagus attributed to Tino di Camaino.
How to Reach Santa Maria Maggiore
- Bus C2; stop Republica
- Bus 6 and 11; stop Vecchietti
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
1.56% of people who visit Florence include Santa Maria Maggiore in their plan
50% of people start their Santa Maria Maggiore visit around 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Santa Maria Maggiore
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santa Maria Maggiore