Spedale Degli Innocenti266 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza della Santissima Annunziata, 12, 50121 Firenze, Italy, Florence Map
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-5520371
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
The Renaissance stirred up many humanitarian sentiments in Florence, especially among the wealthy. The Wool Guild at the time was one of the richest, and it paid for running of this children’s hospital. The building at the site used to be an orphanage, but it later became one of the most architecturally significant complexes in the city. If you can, read up on the history of the hospital from its founding to its closure in 1875. It’s a fascinating story. Highlights of the attraction are:
- The Italian Renaissance architecture of clear and orderly proportion and angles: a mix of Classical Roman, Italian Romanesque and late Gothic architecture.
- The ceramic Tondi: circular works of art – on the top of each column in the façade
- Equestrian statue of Ferdinand I of Tuscany by Giambologna
- The fountain
- The Adoration of the Magi by Domenico Ghirlandaio made specially for the hospital
There is a small museum on site, in the loggia above the cloister, and in the former day room. Though much of its collection has been dispersed, there are still a great many panel paintings, frescoes, furniture, decorations and precious illuminated manuscripts.
Spedale Degli Innocenti Travel Tips
- Ticket counter closes 30 minutes before closing time.
How to Reach Spedale Degli Innocenti
- Buses 6, 14, 19, 23, 31 stop Ss. Annunziata - Istituto Degli Innocent
- Bus 10 stop San Marco Rettorato
- Bus 7, 19, 20 stop La Pira
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Spedale Degli Innocenti Address: Piazza della Santissima Annunziata, 12, 50121 Firenze, Italy, Florence
- Spedale Degli Innocenti Contact Number: +39-5520371
- Spedale Degli Innocenti Timing: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Spedale Degli Innocenti Price: 4 EUR
- Time required to visit Spedale Degli Innocenti: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.08% of people who visit Florence include Spedale Degli Innocenti in their plan
95% of people start their Spedale Degli Innocenti visit around 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Spedale Degli Innocenti
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Spedale Degli Innocenti
People normally club together Museo Novecento and Chiesa Dei Santi Apostoli while planning their visit to Spedale Degli Innocenti.