Villa Medicea Di CastelloCurrently Open
- Address: Via di Castello, 47, 50141 Florence, Italy
- Timings: 08:15 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0552388796
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fountain, Mansion
This was young Doge Cosimo I’s favourite home. So he figured it might as well be his prettiest. There are two main draws about the villa. First, the insides, which naturally, were opulently decorated and furnished to rival the best of Medici homes in the city:
- Two floors and Renaissance design
- 16th courtyard century with Tuscan lodges and pillars
- A hall of landscape frescoes
But it’s really the garden that changed the world of architecture. Though it was one of the first Italian gardens in the world, it is today acknowledged as the finest example of that style second only to the Boboli gardens. Here are the highlights:
- Simple, geometric design of three terraces.
- The Cave of Animals, a beautiful Mannerist grotto.
- Fountain of Hercules and Anteus by Bartolomeo Ammannat.
- 16 flower beds on the first terrace.
- 500 plants in the second terrace’s Citrus Garden.
- The Fountain of January by Bartolomeo Ammannati on the highest terrace, with English Garden influences.
Villa Medicea Di Castello Hours
- Closed on the 2nd and 3rd Monday of each month.
How to Reach Villa Medicea Di Castello
- 2, 28, 301A, 360A stop Sestese 06 - Leo France.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Florence before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Florence and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.59% of people who visit Florence include Villa Medicea Di Castello in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
40% of people start their Villa Medicea Di Castello visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Villa Medicea Di Castello
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Villa Medicea Di Castello