Fort William Tourism
Nestled in the south-western highlands of Scotland, Fort William is a primary tourist destination favorite among the outdoor enthusiasts. The city is located at the head of Loch Linnhe and at the foot of Ben Nevis. City’s proximity to exciting activities has made it famous as the outdoor capital of UK. Offering thrilling activities like water sports, snow sports, mountain climbing, and hill walking, along with the finest Scotch Whiskey, the city is the perfect outdoor getaway for people of all interest groups are sure to enjoy.
This Scottish highland was initially a major Clan Cameron County and Cameron settlements dominated the area. The city of Fort William has also been the home to the training base of Royal Navy Coastal Forces during the Second World War. The West Highland Museum located on the High Street aptly demonstrates the history and local culture of the city and areas. What makes Fort William tourism so prominent are the stellar landscapes, authentic whiskeys and the fascinating museum along with the variety of exhilarating activities the city comes with.
One of the most popular areas in the city best to explore the local culture is the High Street. Housing shops, restaurants, pubs and major bus and railway stations, the street is the heart of the town. Plan your trip to Fort William if magnificent sceneries, local cuisines, and some adventure filled activities is what you seek.
Essential travel information and Fort William tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Fort William’s time zone during Standard Time is GMT/UTC + 0h. Fort William’s time zone during Daylight Saving Time is GMT/UTC + 1h
- Currency: Pound Sterling
- Electricity: Fort William uses 230 V/50 Hz as the power source. Plugs and sockets have Type G connections.
- Internet: Internet service is provided by local networks in the city. Free Wi-Fi hotspots are also available in the city. Most hotels too, provide access to free Wi-Fi.
- Languages: Major languages spoken in Fort William are English, Scots, and Gaelic.
- Security: 999 is the emergency number for police, fire and ambulance services in Scotland.
- Tipping: Tipping is not mandatory but is appreciated in the city.
- Carry warm clothes as Fort William is a cold and wet city with an unpredictable weather.
Fort William Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Fort William. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Fort William trip planner.