Jacobite Steam TrainCurrently Open
- Address: West Coast Railways, Jesson Way, Crag Bank, Carnforth, Lancashire, LA5 9UR., Fort William, United Kingdom
- Ticket Price: 59 GBP
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Train Ride, Landmarks, Social, Food And Dining, Restaurants
Known for its appearance in the famous Harry Potter films as the school train, the Jacobite Steam Train has become both a cultural and a historical attraction. The Jacobite Steam Train is a tourist train that gives you a short tour along the West Highland Railway Line from Fort William to Mallaig and back. The route takes you on the Glenfinnan Viaduct with its 21 arches that have become a famous shot in the Harry Potter films and is where the train slows down so that passengers can appreciate the view of the river.
The old LNER K1 steam engine has its own vintage charm- after all, how often do you come across a steam engine? The train has a stop at Glenfinnan but you can also get down at Arisaig on request to explore the southern tip of Skye along with the small islands of Rum, Eigg, Muck and Canna. The silvery beaches featured in the film “Highlander” is another highlight of the journey.
Other highlights of the journey include:
- Seeing Loch Morar which is the deepest freshwater lake in Britain and River Morar which is the smallest river in Britain. The river is located close to Lock Nevis- the deepest seawater loch in Europe.
- Mallaig itself is a gorgeous village with bustling bars and restaurants that offer fish and chips which are almost the staple food of the village. The fishing town has a stunning coast line and you can take a soulful walk around during your stopover.
If you are travelling with a date, don’t forget to reserve a private table for two on the train. The coaches themselves (also featured in Harry Potter) maintain their old charm and complete the journey.
Jacobite Steam Train Travel Tips
- Other Contacts: +44 0844 850 3131/ 1524 732100
Entrance Ticket Details For Jacobite Steam Train
Adult Day Return:
- First class: 59 GBP
- Standard: 35 GBP
- First class: 54 GBP
- Standard: 30 GBP
Child Day Return (age 12 and below):
- First class: 32 GBP
- Standard: 20 GBP
Child Single: (age 12 and below):
- First class: 27 GBP
- Standard: 18 GBP
Private table for two: GBP 121
Discount on groups of 10 or more people is available.
Jacobite Steam Train Hours
Online Booking hours:
- Monday- Friday: 9.00 am – 4.00 pm
- Dep. Fort William: at 10:15 am, at 2:30 pm
- Arr. Mallaig: at 12:25 pm, at 4:29 pm
- Dep. Mallaig: at 2:10 pm, at 6:38
- Arr. Fort William: at 4:00 pm; at 8:31 pm
The other schedule of trains vary and the service include special Easter service along with regular Morning, Afternoon and Festive services. For more information, visit official website.
How to Reach Jacobite Steam Train
- By Bus: at Fort Williams
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Car.
- By renting a Bike/ Cycle.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Fort William before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fort William and book an accommodation of your choice.
Jacobite Steam Train Reviews & Ratings
Can you buy a ticket for the Jacobite Train from Mallaig to Fort William?Answer Report Abuse
Do you charge for a 1 year old childAnswer Report Abuse
Are dogs allowed onto the Jacobite Steam Train to Mallaig from FWAnswer Report Abuse
Hello there, Can you tell me if dogs are allowed on the steam train?Answer Report Abuse