West Highland Museum12 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Cameron Square, Fort William, Scotland, PH33 6AJ, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1397702169
- Fax: +44-01397701927
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: History Museums, Family And Kids, Social, Arts, Museums, Landmarks
Founded in 1922 by Victor Hodgson and his group, the museum acquired the historic building in 1926 after a series of temporary exhibits. Today, it is the oldest museum in Scottish Highlands and showcases rare cultural and historical exhibits including a vast collection of the Jacobites and Victoriana along with exhibits that depict the wildlife and the military history of Fort William and its journey to the present day! The Commando exhibit that depicts the story of the Lochaber commandos during the Second World War, completes the museum’s collection.
Highlight of the museum include:
- The secret portrait of Bonnie Prince Charlie that dates back to the 18th century and can only be seen with the help of a cylindrical mirror
- The Highland regalia gifted to John Brown by Queen Victoria
- The collection of Jacobite glassware and silver jewellery
- A collection of Military medals, weapons, armours, silver-gift sets, fighting knives, tunic and cuff buttons, guns and archaeological finds
- The exhibits of the history of harp that includes beautiful harp instruments put up for displays. The harp is part of the music in Scotland for more than 12000 years!
The taxidermy collection of the native animals and birds is stunning to say the least and along with the collection of fossils, it does show you just how biologically diverse the Highlands are.
The historic clothing of women and men, unicycle, plaid clothes (synonymous with Scotland), old canoes, beautiful furniture pieces, exhibits that showcase the music history of the country and its importance in Scottish culture and day to day items like cutlery and personal memorabilia, spin a story of the yesteryears while items like the birching table, old handcuffs and some of the weapons can get pretty spooky but interesting at the same time.
Entrance Ticket Details For West Highland Museum
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
How to Reach West Highland Museum
- By Bus: at Linnhe Road
- By walking
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Car.
- By renting a Bike/ Cycle.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Fort William before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fort William and book an accommodation of your choice.
West Highland Museum Reviews & Ratings
Free entry with optional donation. Lovely greeting by friendly staff. History of the area - natural, historic and some mountaineering. Would love a bit more about the history of mountaineering but that aside very nice to have a wander round.
Think I‘ve been there 5 times already and for sure not the last time. So much to see and lovely helpful staff !
very nice People. i think it Was the best museum i was seen. Small but nice
Fun and eclectic mix of artifacts from the area. Lots of good information about everything from the formation of Ben Nevis to the commandos of WW2.
Very nice staff, free admission or as a donation. This is a very nice museum and worth a visit