Kimbell Art Museum
About Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth
This is a very popular museum that is known for the rare paintings in store. They have a small but a very fine collection of masterpieces dating from centuries ago to recent times. The name Kimbell was kept after the names of Kay and Velma Kimbell whose private collections were the 1st exhibits of this museum. They also donated a hefty amount for the relocation of these exhibits in a permanent building.
The main collections of the museum apart from the many expert pieces are-
- The design of the museum building itself and most remarkably the natural silvery wash on the ceiling.
- The ‘Torment of St. Anthony’ which is known to be the 1st painting of the great Michelangelo and also the only one on exhibit of the Americas.
- The paintings of Friedrich that is hardly found in USA.
- The Classical period arts from Egypt, Assyria, Greece and Rome.
- The Asian collection comprising of sculptures, paintings, bronzes, ceramics and works of other decorative art pieces.
- African collection with fine pieces from Nigeria, Angola and other Democratic States. The most attractive is a piece of Oceanic Art represented by a Maori Figure.
Kimbell Art Museum Information
- Entry is free.
- Group bookings are available.
- Collect all the gifts you want from the museum shop. It has EVERYTHING you would want to take home.
How To Get To Kimbell Art Museum by Public Transport
- Bus number 57 to Van Cliburn and Camp Bowie
Restaurants Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Cafe Modern
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fort Worth before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fort Worth and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: 3333 Camp Bowie Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76107, United States
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 2.3K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Art Museum, Observatory, Educational Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Share your experience - Rate Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth
Really awesome place! Most of the exhibits are completely free. They feature art from some notable artists, such as Michaelangelo and Picasso, and art from lots of different cultures and time periods. Great place to spend the morning or afternoon if you have any interest at all in art. The complex is gorgeously designed, inside and out. One of my favorite places to visit in Ft. Worth
Beautiful place. The art is great. The the atmosphere as well. Had to go because I had to draw it for my architect class. It's well worth the trip. And it's free to get it. Except where they have special events.
This art museum is quite nice to visit. Admission is free for permanent collection. That being said, it has very limited collection. I have visited met and art institute of Chicago. Next to those, it doesn't stand. But it's nice to visit there.
Fantastic art gallery. The underground parking makes me feel like James bond. The art is beautiful and historic. Two thumbs up all day long.
The building itself was deigned by Louis Kahn, and the permanent collection is one of the most impressive in the world. The exhibits, like the Modern next door, are on par with any in the world. Truly, the Kimbell is a must-visit for the world traveler and dedicated lover of art/architecture.
- Nearby Attractions
- National Cowgirl Museum And Hall Of Fame
- Sid Richardson Museum
- Texas Christian University
- American Airlines Cr Smith Museum
- Log Cabin Village
- Fort Worth Nature Center
- Burger's Lake
- Trinity Park
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Will Rogers Memorial Center
- Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- 5 Star Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Budget Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Cheap Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Luxury Hotels Near Kimbell Art Museum
- Fort Worth Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Fort Worth
- 2 Days in Fort Worth
- 3 Days in Fort Worth
- 4 Days in Fort Worth
- 5 Days in Fort Worth
- 6 Days in Fort Worth
- 7 Days in Fort Worth