Kimbell Art MuseumCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 3333 Camp Bowie Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76107, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8173328451
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Observatory, Educational Site, Family And Kids
This is a very popular museum that is known for the rare paintings in store. They have a small but a very fine collection of masterpieces dating from centuries ago to recent times. The name Kimbell was kept after the names of Kay and Velma Kimbell whose private collections were the 1st exhibits of this museum. They also donated a hefty amount for the relocation of these exhibits in a permanent building.
The main collections of the museum apart from the many expert pieces are-
- The design of the museum building itself and most remarkably the natural silvery wash on the ceiling.
- The ‘Torment of St. Anthony’ which is known to be the 1st painting of the great Michelangelo and also the only one on exhibit of the Americas.
- The paintings of Friedrich that is hardly found in USA.
- The Classical period arts from Egypt, Assyria, Greece and Rome.
- The Asian collection comprising of sculptures, paintings, bronzes, ceramics and works of other decorative art pieces.
- African collection with fine pieces from Nigeria, Angola and other Democratic States. The most attractive is a piece of Oceanic Art represented by a Maori Figure.
- Entry is free.
- Group bookings are available.
- Collect all the gifts you want from the museum shop. It has EVERYTHING you would want to take home.
- Bus number 57 to Van Cliburn and Camp Bowie
- Cafe Modern
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fort Worth before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fort Worth and book an accommodation of your choice.
44.92% of people who visit Fort Worth include Kimbell Art Museum in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
78.26% of people start their Kimbell Art Museum visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Kimbell Art Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kimbell Art Museum
As an artist, I've been to a fair share of museums and galleries however this is definitely the nicest one I've ever been to. It is both physically well maintained and beautiful while at the same time being managed by an exceptionally nice staff. Fantastic experience. Will be coming back!
My family and I are charter members of this museum and have frequented the place for well over a decade. They are exquisite for many reasons; the exhibitions and programs are well-executed, the quality of the establishment has improved dramatically since we've been with them, and they go the extra mile with customer service. Hope the quality experience continues!
My wife, our daughter, and I had lunch at the lunch room at the Kimbell Art Museum (wonderful food there!) and then viewed the exhibit "Balenciaga in Black" in the Piano building. This exhibit was very much to the expected standards of the Kimbell for special exhibits. Well presented, with very good textual descriptions of the items on exhibit, with good explanations of why the particular item was significant. The lighting was very well done, to highlight the particular features of each piece. Non-flash photography is permitted, even encouraged. The book published for the exhibit is good, but the black on black printing and pictures are somewhat difficult to read/see. The exhibit continues through January 6, 2019.
I love going to the Kimbell. The shows that come through are always so well managed. The employees and volunteers are very helpful. Yes, they take their jobs seriously. They are dealing with pieces that are irreplaceable.
Love the gorgeous architecture and art. Beautiful exhibits, especially Balenciaga in Black. The red party is fun and worth attending for fabulous music, art and benefiting Kimbell Kids Education program. I enjoy taking my son to play on the grounds and appreciate the works of art. Great for lunch, too.