Visit Franz Josef Glacier - Best of Franz Josef Glacier
Situated in close proximity to Fox glacier, Franz Josef is a small town in the west coast region of the South island of New Zealand. Named after its famous attraction of Franz Josef Glacier, Franz Josef is a quaint town that is ideal for those who wish to escape from the buzz and the commotions of the city and spend some quality time in tranquility. Adorned with a backdrop of massive mountains, Franz Josef is the perfect place for your long spending social media cover.
Home to the Franz Josef Glacier, Franz Josef has a plenty of adventure and snow sports activities that you should have a try at. From Ice Explorer tour to Glacier Heli-hike to Heli Ice climb, the activities in Franz Josef are enthralling and exciting at the same time. And if you are a lover of snow and adventure then you would find this place as a paradise. Although, Franz Josef Glacier is the significant reason for people to visit the city of Franz Josef there are some attractions too, like Tatare Tunnels Walk, West Coast wildlife center, and a few other spots.
The major festivals in Franz Josef include Christmas, New Year, and Easter.
Franz Josef Glacier Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Franz Josef Glacier tips for your visit
- Time Zone: New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT). UTC/GMT +13 hours.
- Currency: Currency used in Franz Josef is New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
- Electricity: The standard electrical voltage in Franz Josef is 230 Volts and 50 Hertz alternating current. The power sockets used in Franz Josef and all of New Zealand is of type I. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet: Internet connectivity in Franz Josef is considerably on a lower side. But the major hotels in the city provide free Wi-Fi.
- Languages: English is the widely spoken language in Franz Josef. Apart from English some of the other languages that are spoken in Franz Josef include Maori and New Zealand Sign language.
- Security: General Emergency: 111, Hospital: (03) 752-0700.
- Tipping: Tipping is not expected in Franz Josef. But if you are satisfied with the service you can tip around 5 to 10 % of the bill.
- Customs: When you are meeting a person for the first time greet them with a handshake and while doing that maintain eye contact.
- Be sure to look after your belongings. Especially, when you are walking alone in the nights.
- Using the word 'Kiwi' is not offensive.
- If you are planning to gift someone in Franz Josef do not wrap the gift in red, it is considered taboo.
Are you looking for a Franz Josef Glacier travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Franz Josef Glacier Tourist Information
Franz Josef Glacier Itineraries
35 Views2 Days 1 Night2 Day Trip to Franz Josef Glacier from Franz Josef Glacier
36 Views5 Days 4 Nights
36 Views2 Days 1 Night2 Day Trip to Franz Josef Glacier from Franz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Franz Josef Glacier
Kayak Adventure from Franz Josef Glacier12 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
A unique kayak adventure, only minutes from Franz Josef Glacier! Set out across Lake Mapourika's mirror-like water and enjoy ...Book Now
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Eco Tour
Duration: 3 Hrs
Get out and explore on this 3-hour guided walking tour in the Franz Josef Glacier Valley. Walk through native rainforest and ...Book Now
Fox or Franz Josef Glacier including snow landingNew on TripHobo
Duration: 20 Mins
Flight option 1 - Fox or Franz Josef Glacier including snow landing Fly from our Franz Josef or Fox Glacier Heliport to the ...Book Now
Fox Glacier Valley Eco Tour
Duration: 3 Hrs
Approx 2 - 2.5 hour fully guided walking tour in the Fox Glacier Valley (inc breaks). Transport included from Franz Josef and...Book Now
Popular Hotels in Franz Josef GlacierView all Hotels in Franz Josef Glacier
- Luggate Tourism
- Queensberry Tourism
- Loburn Tourism
- Cornish Point Tourism
- Ashley Forest Tourism
- Christchurch Tourism
- Cass Bay Tourism
- Queenstown Tourism
- Tekoa Range Tourism
- Ngapuna Tourism
- Dunedin Tourism
- Craigellachie Tourism
Facts and Stats for Franz Josef Glacier*
Franz Josef Glacier: Crime and Safety
How safe is Franz Josef Glacier for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Franz Josef Glacier.
Car Stealing 25 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 100 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 100 (Very High)
Living in Franz Josef Glacier - Quality of Life
Safety Index 93.75 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.