Situated in close proximity to Fox glacier, Franz Josef is a small town in the west coast region of the South island of New Zealand. Named after its famous attraction of Franz Josef Glacier, Franz Josef is a quaint town that is ideal for those who wish to escape from the buzz and the commotions of the city and spend some quality time in tranquility. Adorned with a backdrop of massive mountains, Franz Josef is the perfect place for your long spending social media cover.
Home to the Franz Josef Glacier, Franz Josef has a plenty of adventure and snow sports activities that you should have a try at. From Ice Explorer tour to Glacier Heli-hike to Heli Ice climb, the activities in Franz Josef are enthralling and exciting at the same time. And if you are a lover of snow and adventure then you would find this place as a paradise. Although, Franz Josef Glacier is the significant reason for people to visit the city of Franz Josef there are some attractions too, like Tatare Tunnels Walk, West Coast wildlife center, and a few other spots.
The major festivals in Franz Josef include Christmas, New Year, and Easter.
Franz Josef Glacier Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Franz Josef Glacier tips for your visit
- Time Zone: New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT). UTC/GMT +13 hours.
- Currency: Currency used in Franz Josef is New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
- Electricity: The standard electrical voltage in Franz Josef is 230 Volts and 50 Hertz alternating current. The power sockets used in Franz Josef and all of New Zealand is of type I. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet: Internet connectivity in Franz Josef is considerably on a lower side. But the major hotels in the city provide free Wi-Fi.
- Languages: English is the widely spoken language in Franz Josef. Apart from English some of the other languages that are spoken in Franz Josef include Maori and New Zealand Sign language.
- Security: General Emergency: 111, Hospital: (03) 752-0700.
- Tipping: Tipping is not expected in Franz Josef. But if you are satisfied with the service you can tip around 5 to 10 % of the bill.
- Customs: When you are meeting a person for the first time greet them with a handshake and while doing that maintain eye contact.
- Be sure to look after your belongings. Especially, when you are walking alone in the nights.
- Using the word 'Kiwi' is not offensive.
- If you are planning to gift someone in Franz Josef do not wrap the gift in red, it is considered taboo.