Tatare Tunnels Walk197 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 21 Cowan St, Franz Josef Glacier 7886, New Zealand
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Tunnel
Franz Josef offers numerous natural tracks for hiking and one such is Tatare tunnel. It was discovered by some miners who came here in search of gold. Though gold was found or not that fact has not been proved. But the discovery of this tunnel brought water supply to the Waiho terrace, leading to the establishment of a village in this region.
So, take this adventurous root to explore this tunnel. Your journey will start from Franz Josef Waiau township. As you move forward, the track goes down to the Tatare Gorge from you can see its scenic beauty. Make a stop to admire the beauty. A bit ahead you will be required to make a short steep climb that will ultimately lead to the tunnel. This tunnel is low and dark. But as you enter you can see that interior is lightened up with glow worms. And believe me! The sight is worth visiting.
The entire journey hardly takes much time. Hence, you can definitely afford few hours from your Franz Josef tour.
Tatare Tunnels Walk Travel Tips
- Carry a torch and a raincoat to explore the tunnels.
- Wear sturdy footwear that you can afford to get them wet because there is water inside the tunnel.
- People who have difficulty in walking on bumpy road should avoid it.
- Dogs are not allowed.
- Carry drinking water, insect repellent and sun protection at all times.
Entrance Ticket Details For Tatare Tunnels Walk
- Entry is free.
Tatare Tunnels Walk Hours
- Daylight hours are usually recommended.
How to Reach Tatare Tunnels Walk
- Nearby Bus Station: Glow Worm Cottages & Terrace Motel
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Franz Josef Glacier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Franz Josef Glacier and book an accommodation of your choice.
30.45% of people who visit Franz Josef Glacier include Tatare Tunnels Walk in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
40% of people start their Tatare Tunnels Walk visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Tatare Tunnels Walk
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tatare Tunnels Walk