Maheno WreckCurrently Open
- Address: Maheno Wreck, 75 Mile Long Beach, Fraser Island, Australia
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: View Point, Tourist Center, Family And Kids
About Maheno Wreck, Fraser Island
It’s a startling landmark on an otherwise usually pristine beach – the ruins of a once magnificent ship rusting away on the sand. It’s been here for over eighty years. The Maheno was built in Scotland, and was the world’s first turbine driven steamer. And it was a luxury steamer too. During WWI, it was even a hospital ship.
In 1935, a cyclone grounded the ship onto the beach here, and the saltwater has been slowly wearing it down since. Though this is one of the island’s most popular attractions, there’s not much to do here. Take a few pictures, and remember its story so you can tell others.
How To reach Maheno Wreck by Public Transport
- Walk or drive along the beach till you see it. It’s a few km north of the middle of the beach.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fraser Island before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fraser Island and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Maheno Wreck
95% of people who visit Fraser Island include Maheno Wreck in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
38.72% of people start their Maheno Wreck visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Maheno Wreck
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Maheno Wreck
Maheno Wreck Map
Maheno Wreck Trips
Maheno Wreck, Fraser Island Reviews
Breathtaking. There's not many places you drive up so close to a several hundred foot historical ship wreck on a Sandy beach. Definitely worth the visit. Was plenty of tourists around in February but didn't really detract from the experience for us. But it's phenomenal when you do it to yourself!
Come and see it while it's still there. Very impressive
Nice shipwreck if you get The historie behind! Cool setting
Bucket list trip for any 4wder. She won't be around for to much longer now, if you haven't been get there while you still can.
Fantastic everyone should go over to see Fraser Island.
All QuestionsMaheno wreck
- Murrayville United Methodist Church
- Double L Quarter Horses
- Murrayville Baptist Church
- Murrayville United Methodist Parsonage
- Sandy Creek Baptist Assoc
- Murrayville House Of Prayer
- Little Egypt Woodmen Camp
- Faith Church Of God
- St Paul's Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Calvary Southern Baptist Church
- West Frankfort Bowl
- Depot Veterans Memorial & Coal Miner's Memorial
- Third Baptist Church
- Harmony Freewill Baptist Church
- Strawberry Meadows