Old Tunnel State Park
About Old Tunnel State Park, Fredericksburg
Old Tunnel State Park is a railroad tunnel of the Fredericksburg and Northern Railway, which ceased operations in 1942. The property came under the care of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and was officially made a state park in 2012. It is located halfway between Fredericksburg and Comfort on the Old San Antonio Road. Since the shut down of the railway, the tunnel has become a bat cave, hosting over 3 million Mexican free-tailed bats and 3000 Cave myotis bats. The bats emerge at sunset during the months of May through October, and viewing is open to the public.Wikipedia
Overview of Old Tunnel State Park
Welcome to the page of Old Tunnel State Park. This is a place of interest in the city of Fredericksburg in United States. Old Tunnel State Park is often skipped on the visit, owing to the plethora of other prime attractions of Fredericksburg.
More about Fredericksburg
Personalize your visit to the city by chalking out a plan using Fredericksburg trip planner.
You can enjoy a comfortable stay in the city by booking the best hotels in Fredericksburg like Comfort Inn & Suites Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg Inn And Suites, Inn On Barons Creek and Fairfield Inn & Suites By Marriott Fredericksburg.
Share your experience - Rate Old Tunnel State Park, Fredericksburg
The Bats were everything they advertised. 1.3 million bats swarmed out 20 minutes before their estimated time.Get there early about 5 pm to get tickets to get lower and closer to the old tunnel. The Rangers said they sell out in 20 minutes. $5 per ticket. We were in the bleachers, enjoying the view and the breeze for free. If your in the area this is a must see.
Very fascinating. Free in upper deck. Employees very informative. Restaurant nect to place was sold out of food.
Knowledgeable and dedicated staff. Show up early to reserve your spot for best view
It was a great experience. Going to the bottom section was great and the biologist is very informative. The trails around the park are what close at 5pm. The top section is open every day at all times and the bottom section is open Thursday - Sunday for the emergence of the bats.
If you love Bats this is a great place to see them. I've been there a few times and it never get old.
- Other Attractions
- George Washington House
- Kensington Oval
- Parliament Buildings
- Queen Park
- St. Michael's Cathedral
- National Heroes Square
- Nidhe Israel Synagogue
- Harrison's Cave
- St Nicholas Abbey
- Mount Gay Visitor Centre
- Hotels for other Attractions
- Luxury Hotels Near George Washington House
- Cheap Hotels Near Kensington Oval
- Budget Hotels Near Parliament Buildings
- 5 Star Hotels Near Queen Park
- 5 Star Hotels Near St. Michael's Cathedral
- Budget Hotels Near National Heroes Square
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Nidhe Israel Synagogue
- Budget Hotels Near Harrison's Cave
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near St Nicholas Abbey
- Cheap Hotels Near Mount Gay Visitor Centre
- City Tripplans
- 30 Day Trip to United States from Montebello
- Trip to Fredericksburg
- 14 Day Trip to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Galveston, Fredericksburg, Vicksburg from New Orleans
- Trip to Spicewood, Wimberley, Fredericksburg, San Antonio
- Trip to Fredericksburg
- 40 Day Trip to New Braunfels, Kerrville, Galveston, Huntsville, Fredericksburg, Johnson City from Haltom City
- 3 Day Trip to New Orleans from Guaynabo
- 17 Day Trip to San Antonio, Big Bend National Park, Lubbock, New Braunfels, Galveston, Fredericksburg from Arlington
- 6 Day Trip to Big Bend National Park, New Braunfels from Valley View
- 17 Day Trip to San Antonio, Galveston, Lubbock, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Big Bend National Park from Arlington