Events and Festivals in Fukuoka-shi
- January: Tamaseseri – Men in loincloth fight for possession of a wooden ball at Hakozaki Shrine
- March: Kyokusui no En: On March’s first Sunday, an elegant festival in which scores of people dress up in kimonos at DazaifuTenmangu Shrine
- May: Hakata Dontaku Port: An 8 century old festival where merchants parade and set up perfomances all over the city in the first week of May.
- July: Hakata GionYamakasa – crowds of more than a million cheer on races between gigantic wheel-less floats being pulled by teams of men in the first two weeks of July. Unmissable on your vacation trip itinerary planner.
- August: Ohori Park Fireworks – half a million people gather to watch this on the first day of the month
- November: Sumo Kyushu Basho – Fukuoka is the smallest city to host a national level grand sumo tournament
Trip plans for Fukuoka-shi