Kushida Shrine, Fukuoka-shiCurrently Open
- Address: 1-41 Kamikawabatamachi, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture 812-0026, Japan, Fukuoka-shi
- Timings: 04:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-922912951
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
About Kushida Shrine, Fukuoka-shi
This shrine, dedicated to the goddess Amaterasu, is the city's oldest. It was built in 757. Locals are much more enamored with it than tourists, as it is thought to be the guardian temple of the city.
The first item of interest, after you pass the elegant red torii gates, is the ancient gingko tree in the yard, said to be one thousand years old. Surround it are monument stones, including the Etoarror plate, said to have been taken from the location of the 13th century Mongol invasion. See the fountain of three cranes, into which is carved the image of men pulling along a huge float. That represents one of the city's major festivals - the Hakata GionYamakasa - of which the shrine is a host.
Also on the shrine grounds is the Hakata Historical Museum.
Kushida Shrine Information
- Parking available for about 100 cars.
- Check out the gift shop, where you can buy charms of luck and protection.
How To reach Kushida Shrine by Public Transport
- Gion Subway Station, Kuko/Yellow Line
- 6, 6-1, 8, 46, 46-1, 68, 80, 100, 113, 114, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 208, 503, 506, 507, 526 stop Minami Shinchi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fukuoka-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fukuoka-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.